No fest cooler than our Cooter
It's a weekend of live bands, barbecue and a celebrity appearance.
By JORGE SANCHEZ
Published October 28, 2006
Cooterfest hits its high note today, with 12 hours of fun and entertainment in Inverness.
Three live bands, a kayak race, a barbecue contest and a celebrity appearance by an actor from The Dukes of Hazzard television program will all be part of the Cooterfest activities.
Parking for Cooterfest can be found at the city lots at N Pine Avenue; N Seminole Avenue in front of the Inverness Government Center; and at Martin Luther King Street near the Sheriff's Office.
Shuttle buses will be circling the area, taking people to Liberty Park. Parking, shuttle buses and admission to Cooterfest are free.
Here's the Cooterfest schedule.
Nearly all of the activities are at Liberty Park on N Apopka just past the bike trail. A 12-hour event with live music, food, crafts, children's games and a costume contest.
10 a.m.-1 p.m.: Tito Garcia band.
11 a.m.: Kayak racing on the lake and guest appearance by Sonny "Enos" Shroyer from The Dukes of Hazzard.
Noon to 2 p.m.: Sunny Cooter's barbecue cookoff at Wallace Brooks Park.
2 to 5: Chameleon band performs.
7:30: Guest appearance by Sonny Shroyer and the General Lee display.
6 to 10: The Land Sharks Band performs. The band plays Jimmy Buffet and Beach Boys music.
Activities at Liberty Park
Noon: Register for the costume contest.
Noon to 12:30 p.m.: Magic show with Mike Carnevale.
12:30 to 1:30: Shana Banana - children's entertainer.
1:30 to 3: Cooterween Costume Contest.
3 to 4: Magic show with Mike Carnevale.
In other entertainment events:
- The Greek festival continues at St. Michael The Archangel Greek Orthodox Church. Highlights are gyros and kabobs on an outdoors grill, complete meals, desserts and coffees inside the hall. Live music, crafts round out the picture. Hours are 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. today; 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. St. Michael's is at 4705 W Gulf-to-Lake Highway State Road 44 Lecanto, approximately 1 mile west of the SR 44 and County Road 491 intersection. Admission is $1. Call 527-0766.
- School bus races, along with boat trailer pulling races and a full slate of real auto racing, will be at the Citrus County Speedway on Saturday. Action begins at 5:30 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults, $10 for children and seniors. The speedway is at the Citrus County Fairgrounds, U.S. 41 S Inverness.
- No Way To Treat A Lady continues tonight and Sunday and runs through Nov. 12 at the Art Center Theatre, 2644 N Annapolis Ave., Citrus Hills. Show times are 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sundays and on Nov. 4. Tickets are $18 at the box office, open 1 to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday. Call 746-7606.
- The Fall Heritage Weekends sponsored by the Friends of Rainbow Springs, continue at Rainbow Springs State Park today and Sunday when the Hands-on-Woodturners exhibit their works from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission to the park, on U.S. 41 north of Dunnellon, is $1. Call (352) 465-8555.
- Guitarist B.J. Bear leads his band in a country, blues and rock concert from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Sleepy Hollow Fish Camp. 10333 E Gobbler Drive, Floral City. This is one of the best bands in the county and Sleepy Hollow is a great waterfront hangout. Turn east on Gobbler off U.S. 41 and follow the road to the S-curves about 4 miles down. Food, refreshments available, no cover. Call 726-3242.
- Classic rockers Threshold perform at Sabah Nightspot, 1314 U.S. 41, north of Zephyr Street in Inverness, at 9 p.m. today. Food and wine available, no cover. Call 637-1128.
- The duo of Jim Seals (of Seals and Crofts) and Dan Seals (England Dan & John Ford Coley), now known as Seals and Seals, will perform the classics Diamond Girl, Summer Breeze and new compositions at 8 p.m. today at the Pasco-Hernando Performing Arts Center, 10230 Ridge Road, New Port Richey. Tickets are $35, $32 and $26. Call (727) 816-3707 or online at www.phcc.edu/tix.
Jorge Sanchez covers arts and entertainment in Citrus. Contact him at email@example.com or (352)860-7313 or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505 ext. 7313.
[Last modified October 28, 2006, 01:16:10]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]