Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
From the ballpark
By MARC TOPKIN
Published October 28, 2006
The good ...
David Eckstein is one of the smallest players on the field, but he again came up big, knocking in the Cardinals' first two runs earning the Series MVP award.
The bad ...
Tigers starter Justin Verlander had enough trouble throwing strikes in the first inning. But it was his wild fourth-inning throw past third base that led to two huge St. Louis runs.
The last one. With the tying run on first, Adam Wainwright struck out Brandon Inge for the win.
On second thought
Tigers manager Jim Leyland can explain it all he wants, but he lost the World Series with Kenny Rogers and his 23-inning scoreless streak on the bench.
Stat of the day
10 World Series championships for the Cardinals, second most all time.
He said it
"It's just because there are more cameras and they catch you."
- Tony La Russa, Cardinals manager, on appearing to be more emotional during games
Did you know ...
St. Louis shortstop David Eckstein on Thursday became the eighth player to have at least three doubles in a World Series game:
Name No. Year Team
Frank Isbell 4 1906 Chicago (AL)
Max Carey 3 1925 Pittsburgh
Hank Greenberg 3 1945 Detroit
Alvin Dark 3 1951 New York (NL)
Jim Gilliam 3 1953 Brooklyn
Bret Boone 3 1999 Atlanta
Trot Nixon 3 2004 Boston
David Eckstein 3 2006 St. Louis
Outside the lines
- Wednesday's postponement caused disruption to travel plans. The Tigers were able to stay the extra night in their downtown St. Louis hotel, though they did have to pay penalties to keep about 100 rooms, general manager Dave Dombrowski said. But to keep the Tigers, the Adam's Mark Hotel had to bump about 300 people who were coming in for a college media convention to the suburbs.
- There is a small tent village set up outside Busch Stadium between two bars well-known to ballpark fans - Paddy O's and Al Hrabosky's Ballpark Saloon - that are trying to get business with drinks named after Cardinals. That includes Pujols Punch (Southern Comfort, grenadine, pineapple and orange juice) and the Molina Bomber (Tuaca citrus liqueur and Red Bull).
- The Cold Stone Creamery folks could have had better timing. They have had workers outside Busch Stadium handing out free samples, including a beer-flavored sorbet.
- A Detroit-area woman named Crystal Bush might have been rooting harder for a Game 6 than anyone else. According to the Detroit News, she agreed as part of a radio station promotion to allow her classic 1971 VW Beetle to be filled with thousands of pounds of concrete in exchange for two choice tickets to the game.