St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Dutch mount rescue effort to save 100 stranded horses

The animals are surrounded by water after a strong storm. Eighteen have already drowned.

Published November 3, 2006

[AP photos]
Rescuers decided to leave the horses until at least today as water receded. They have received veterinary care and feed.

The horses' precarious situation prompted an inquiry of their owner and land operator.

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Rescue workers struggled Thursday to save a herd of 100 horses stranded for days on a tiny knoll after a fierce storm turned their pasture into an angry sea.

Eighteen horses have drowned and the rest have spent two nights huddled together in knee-deep water. Rescuers planned to bring in horses that are strong swimmers to show the panicky animals, including several foals, how to get to dry land.

Dutch television and newspapers carried dramatic photographs and footage of the horses crowded together, their backs to the wind, on a small patch of ground. They were surrounded by brackish-colored seawater, pushed by the storm surge into a wilderness area outside the dikes of Marrum, 90 miles northeast of Amsterdam.

Marrum's fire department used small boats to ferry about 20 horses, including the smallest foals, to safety Wednesday.

The Dutch army tried to rescue the rest of the herd but called off the operation when water levels receded to less than 3 feet in some places, grounding pontoon boats.

Mayor Wil van der Berg said he considered using helicopters to transport the animals but decided the noise and lights might panic the horses and cause more to drown.

Although horses can swim and the closest dry land was only several hundred yards away, there were concerns the animals could become ensnared in submerged barbed wire fences or that they might tire if they headed toward land farther away.

Water levels continued to fall Thursday, and the surviving animals were brought feed and blankets by boat. Veterinarians examined them, the Netherlands' state broadcaster NOS reported.

Since the remaining horses were in good health, officials decided to leave them on the knoll overnight. Other horses that are strong swimmers were to be brought in today to try to lead them to safety.

"Definitely don't go there at night. A few animals are in the water, but only up to their ankles, and they can hold out another 24 hours," veterinarian Marten de Vries was quoted as saying in the Friesch Dagblad daily after he examined the horses.

In a worst-case scenario, the horses could be stranded for several more days, NOS reported.

The Netherlands's Party for the Animals said it had filed a complaint against the horses' owner and the operator of the wilderness area, since the national weather service had put the country on alert for rising flood waters early Tuesday.

"Despite a number of worried warnings from neighbors, they did not act and are therefore in any case morally and legally responsible for the death of at least 18 horses," the party. "We want to know what measures will be taken to prevent this kind of situation in the future."

The Agriculture Ministry ordered an inquiry. "We're going to work together with prosecutors to see whether there was any criminal act committed," said spokeswoman Anita Douven. "That could be negligence, or possibly mishandling of the animals."

She said the investigation would look at the role of both the owner, Pieter Lootsma, and the land operator, It Fryske Gea, which had ordered the animals cleared from the area for the winter by Oct. 15.

Lootsma told local media the animals had been brought to higher ground but panicked Tuesday night when other herders and emergency service workers shined spotlights on them.

[Last modified November 3, 2006, 06:57:18]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters