St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Palestinians call for revenge against Israel

The demands came as Palestinians buried 18 people killed in a recent Gaza Strip confrontation .

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published November 10, 2006


ADVERTISEMENT

BEIT HANOUN, Gaza Strip - Women collapsed in grief, a man hoisted his dead baby aloft and tens of thousands of Palestinians called for revenge Thursday as they jammed a cemetery for the funeral of 18 civilians killed in an errant Israeli artillery attack.

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert of Israel offered to ease tensions by meeting the Palestinian president "any time, anyplace."

"I am very uncomfortable with this event," Olmert said at a conference in Tel Aviv. "I'm very distressed."

Despite the deadly incident, Israel said it would keep attacking Gaza as long as Palestinian rocket barrages persist, although the army ordered artillery fire to stop pending the results of an investigation.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas called his main political rival, Hamas' leader Khaled Mashaal - a move that could help prevent the Islamic militant group from renewing attacks on Israel and pave the way for a moderate Palestinian government.

The shells landed Wednesday as residents were sleeping in the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanoun, and witnesses said many were killed as they fled.

The 18 dead was the highest Palestinian civilian toll in a single incident since the current conflict erupted in September 2000. The highest toll of Israeli civilians was 29 killed in a Palestinian suicide bombing at a Passover gathering in March 2002.

The army said it was targeting areas where rockets had been fired in recent days at the Israeli cities of Sderot and Ashkelon.

Saying he had personally investigated the artillery strike, Olmert said the artillery was meant to hit an orange grove from which troops saw rockets fired seconds earlier, but instead hit homes in Beit Hanoun. Olmert urged Abbas, the Palestinian president, to meet with him immediately.

"He will be surprised when he will sit with me of how far we are prepared to go," Olmert said. "I can offer him a lot."

The Israeli army said Thursday that an investigation indicated the casualties were caused by a technical failure in the fire control system of an artillery battery, the first official confirmation that army fire was responsible.

The statement said the shells were fired in response to Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel and the head of the army has suspended artillery fire into Gaza pending a further technical and operational investigation.

Olmert, however, said Israel will keep targeting Palestinian rocket squads in Gaza. He indicated Israel would keep up airstrikes even as the artillery falls silent.

"The military will continue as long as there will be Qassam shooting," he said, using the name for Hamas' homemade rockets.

"We will take precautions in order to avoid unnecessary mistakes," he said. "We will do everything in our power to avoid it. I think it would not be serious to promise that it may not happen. It may happen."

Abbas has agreed in principle to meet Olmert, but he wants to ensure concrete results. Meetings between officials of the two sides have been held off and on for months, with no conclusions.

At the United Nations, the Security Council held a special session Thursday to discuss an Arab-backed resolution demanding the withdrawal of Israeli troops from the Gaza Strip and condemning the recent Israeli attacks. The resolution, introduced by Qatar, also calls for a mutual cease-fire and the deployment of a U.N. observer force on the Israeli-Gaza border.

Several diplomats from the U.S. and other council nations expressed concern at the contents of the resolution, noting that it makes no mention of Palestinian rocket attacks into Israel.

The head of the Arab League, Amr Moussa, also called an emergency meeting of Arab foreign ministers in Cairo, Egypt, on Sunday to forge a response to the Israeli offensive.

The bodies arrived at the cemetery in Beit Hanoun a convoy of 18 ambulances, which drove from the hospital through the artillery-scarred cluster of apartment buildings. Cries of "God is greater than Israel and America," punctuated by gunshots, rang out as the dead were carried out on stretchers.

"I will avenge, I will avenge!" screamed one of the victims' relatives as he fired his weapon, voicing a common sentiment among the mourners.

"The Zionist enemy understands only the language of force and therefore I say, 'An eye for an eye, a nose for a nose,' " chanted Abdel al-Hakim Awad, a Fatah spokesman.

The freshly dug graves were lined up in a single row, each marked by a concrete block. A Palestinian flag fluttered over each one.

Two Israeli unmanned aircraft buzzed overhead.

Information from the New York Times was used in this report.

[Last modified November 10, 2006, 01:46:12]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT