St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message


Where to complain

Published January 29, 2007


Have a problem and don't know where to turn? Here are some numbers to help you reach the right person or agency. Unless otherwise noted, phone numbers are area code 352.


To report problems with new cars under the state Lemon Law, call the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Lemon Law Hot Line toll-free 1-800-321-5366.


For complaints about businesses, call the Better Business Bureau toll-free 1-800-525-1447. State Attorney's office: 754-4255.


Small Claims Courts: Hernando, 754-4207. Free legal services for qualified, low-income residents: 796-7238. Lawyer referral services (Florida Bar): toll-free 1-800-342-8060. Hernando courthouse switchboard, 754-4201.


To complain about a condominium, call toll-free 1-800-226-6028 or 1-800-226-9101 or request a form from Complaints, Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Land Sales and Condominiums, 1940 N Monroe St., Tallahassee, FL 32399-1030, or call toll-free 1-800-342-7940.


Having problems with a contractor? In Hernando, call the building department at 754-4109.


Restaurant complaints should go to the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Hotels and Restaurants, 3725 W Grace St., Suite 520, Tampa, FL 33607, (850) 487-1395. Grocery store complaints should go to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, toll-free 1-800-435-7352.


To report abuse, call the Abuse Hotline toll-free 1-800-962-2873. Complaints about quality of care or bills from hospitals, nursing homes, ACLFs and home health care facilities: Agency for Health Care Administration, 2727 Mahan Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32308-5403, toll-free 1-888-419-3456.


For disputes about maintenance or security deposits involving an apartment with five or more units, (no individual housing), and for problems with hotel billing, write the Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Hotels and Restaurants, 1313 N Tampa St., Room 106, Tampa, FL 33602. For a free copy of the Florida landlord/tenant law, call toll-free 1-800-435-7352.


BellSouth phone repair service: 611.

[Last modified January 28, 2007, 23:28:09]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters