School officer aids choking student
By CASEY CORA
Published February 1, 2007
Trevor Weaver was surrounded by friends at the lunch table Wednesday when he began choking on a baked chicken nugget.
Trevor, a seventh-grader at Osceola Middle School in Seminole, sprang from his seat and grabbed his throat. His friends waved their arms, hoping to get someone's attention.
"You could tell he was definitely in distress," said Deputy Ural Darling, a 12-year veteran of the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office, who happened to be in the cafeteria.
Darling, 47, rushed over to perform the Heimlich maneuver.
He tried it the first time, but Trevor, 12, still couldn't breathe.
He panicked. Darling didn't.
"It could have been bad," said Darling, who has worked as the school's resource officer for the past 6 1/2 years, a position in which he said he has seen his share of school mishaps.
On the second attempt, the piece of chicken came up.
"It feels good when you can save a kid's life," Darling said. "But it's all just part of the job."
[Last modified February 1, 2007, 08:54:32]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]