Excerpts from Steve Stanton's plan
By Times staff
Published March 16, 2007
Stanton studied the transition plans of other organizations when developing his own.
Excerpts from City Manager Steve Stanton's transition plan:
City Commission Notification by City Manager
I will have individual meetings with the remaining members of the City Commission (except Commissioner Black) in the following order: Woods, Arntzen, Guyette and Crozier. I am not really sure of how much advance notice I can, or should, give the Commission. I feel once they, and their spouses know, the secret will not be a secret very long.
I do not want any of them to feel slighted by my delayed disclosure.
I trust each one of them but feel it is unfair to place this burden on them and ask them "not to tell"
City Manager Returns Back to Work
This will be the "big day" and will conceivably be of high interest to the media. It will be the first time the Susan Stanton will present herself to the city and will undoubtedly cause initial disruptions at city hall. Key issues to be developed addressed include:
- Would it be appropriate to be accompanied by another person walking in?
- Should I provide a picture of what I will look like before showing up for work?
- Is there value is some lunch time "Come and Meet Susan" type event. This also will be very awkward but might help employees get passed their discomfort.
Susan Stanton's First City Commission Meeting:
This first meeting will be the most stressful time for both the City Commission and me. There will undoubtedly be members of the general public calling for my immediate dismissal as a result of this "immoral life style choice." I anticipate the same large crowd of people returning to the chambers who objected to the human rights ordinance. Unfortunately, this time they will have a name and a face to target their anger:
- I need to create a community based support network to speak on my behalf who are not members of the transgender community.
- This will involving sensitive timing
- It is imperative that this evening not degenerate into circus like environment
- Plan of action to address residents who begin to engage in personal attacks.
[Last modified March 15, 2007, 23:38:53]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]