By TIMES STAFF
Published March 31, 2007
The City of Brooksville Recreation Department will offer the following summer camps:
- Basketball Camp: Two sessions, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 4-8 and 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. June 11-15. The cost is $50 per session, which includes a shirt and lunch. Designed for ages 6-11.
- Track and Field Camp: Two sessions, June 11-15 and June 18-22. For ages 8-14. The cost is $50 per session, which includes a shirt and lunch.
- Flag Football Camps: Two sessions, June 25-29 and Aug. 6-10. The cost is $50 per session, which includes a shirt and lunch.
- Baseball Camp: Two sessions, July 9-13 and July 16-20. The cost is $85 per session and includes lunch and a shirt.
- Volleyball Camp: July 23-27. For ages 9-14. The cost is $50 and includes lunch and a shirt.
- Floor Hockey Camp: Two sessions, July 30-Aug. 3 and Aug. 6-10. This camp is played without skates. The cost is $50 per session and includes lunch and a shirt.
- Tennis Camp: Two sessions, June 18-22 and July 16-20. For ages 6-17. Beginner, intermediate and advanced players welcome. The cost is $90, which includes a shirt.
Programs will be at the Jerome Brown Community Center in the Tom Varn Park complex, 99 Jerome Brown Place. Unless otherwise specified, programs are for children ages 6-12 and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. "After Care" will be offered from 3 to 5:30 p.m. for an additional $12 per week. For information, call 544-5498.
- The First Tee of Brooksville will offer golf camps for ages 7-17 from June 19 to July 26 at the Quarry Golf Course, taught by golf pro Robert Buck. Times are tentatively scheduled for 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays for beginners, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays for intermediate (par); and 9:30 to 11 a.m. Wednesdays and 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays for advanced (birdie). The cost is $50, which includes the 2007 annual First Tee registration/membership. Call the Quarry at 544-5485 or visit the Web site at www.thefirstteebrooksville.com.
* * *
Hernando County Recreation will offer the following summer camps:
- Camp Funshine: June 4-Aug. 3. Locations include Pasco-Hernando Community College North Campus, Fox Chapel Middle School and Suncoast Elementary School. Trips include MOSI, Buccaneer Bay, Florida Aquarium, Homosassa Springs, skating, bowling and other trips. The cost is $85 per week. Children must be at least 5 by Sept. 1 and entering kindergarten.
- Sports Camp: June 4-Aug. 3 at PHCC North Campus and Fox Chapel Middle School. For ages 8-12. Trips include Buccaneer Bay, a Devil Rays baseball game, skating, batting cages, bowling and others. Daily sports include kickball, flag football, baseball/softball, basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, tennis and soccer. The cost is $85 per week.
- Aqua Camp: July 9-13, for ages 10-14. Participants will canoe the river at Silver Glen Spring, ferry from Honeymoon to Caladesi, swim and snorkel for sand dollars, snorkel with manatees in Homosassa, swim at Salt Springs, snorkel and canoe the Suwannee River at Manatee Springs. The cost is $175. The cost includes all trips, a T-shirt and handouts.
- Beach Week: July 16-20, for ages 8-14. The program includes a tour of Fort De Soto, swimming and snorkeling, Caladesi Island, visiting Egmont Key lighthouse, snorkeling for shark teeth at Casperon Beach and a trip to Blizzard Beach. The cost is $165.
- Water Mania Camp: July 30-Aug. 3, for ages 8-14. Trips include Typhoon Lagoon, Adventure Island, tubing at Rock Springs, Wild Waters, Rainbow Springs and Wet N' Wild. The cost is $175.
- Football Camp: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 25-29, at PHCC North Campus. For ages 8-14 in all skill levels. Participants must bring their own drinks and snacks; lunch will be provided. Towel and cleats are recommended. There is an optional trip to Buccaneer Bay on the Friday, or participants may remain on site for additional football contests. The cost is $75. Extended care is available, starting at 7:30 a.m. and through 5:30 p.m. for an additional $10.
- Young Adventurers Camp: July 23-27, for ages 7-9. Participants will swim and canoe at Lake Louise State Park, comb the shore at Caladesi Island, visit the Butterfly Rainforest and Museum of Natural History and cook their own pancakes at Hillsborough River State Park. The cost is $165.
- Volleyball Camp: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 16-20, for ages 8-14, at Challenger K-8 School. The cost is $75. Participants are to bring their own drinks, snacks and lunch. There will be an optional trip to Buccaneer Bay on that Friday, or participants may remain on site for extra volleyball contests. Extended care is available from 7:30 a.m. through 5:30 p.m. for an additional $10.
- "Let's Get Fit Week": June 4-8, for ages 9 and older. Activities include biking around Lake Minneola and Lake Louise State Park, Fort De Soto, Withlacoochee State Trail, Little Econ River, Downey Park and Nature Coast Trail. Canoeing and kayaking at KP Hole and Manatee Springs, swimming and snorkeling at other locations. There will be optional ice cream stops along the bike trails. The cost is $150.
- Challenger Sports British Soccer Camp: June 11-15, Ernie Wever Youth Park. Mini-soccer for ages 4-5 is $83. Sign up for either 9 to 10:30 a.m. or 10:40 a.m. to 12:10 p.m. The cost for a half day for ages 6-18 is $103 and is from 9 a.m. to 12:10 p.m. The cost for the full-day program for ages 10-18 is $153 and is from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Those who register by April 27 will receive a free replica jersey valued at $30.
- Sailing Camp: June 11-15, for ages 10-17. The cost is $350. This program is designed to teach basic navigational sailing skills using the Optimist Pram. Campers will travel to Dunedin Causeway for daily lessons.
- Fishing Camp: June 11-15, for ages 10-14. Campers learn to make fishing lures and will fish at Silver Lake, Mary's Fish Camp, Buffer State Park, Fort De Soto, and deep-sea fish out of Crystal River. The cost is $175.
- Wildlife Eco Camp: June 18-22, for ages 10-14. Trips include Silver Springs Nature Park, snorkeling at Wekiva State Park and canoeing the river, Butterfly Rainforest, Museum of Natural History, Fort De Soto and Egmont Key. The cost is $175.
- Environmental Snorkel Camp: June 25-29 for ages 10-14. The cost is $200. Campers will learn to snorkel at the pool at Whispering Oaks, and trips include Pine Island, Rainbow River and canoeing up the Weeki Wachee River and snorkeling back down.
- "Let's Go Girls!": Program for girls only, June 25-29, for ages 9-15. The cost is $175 and includes tubing at Rock Springs, Build a Bear workshop, shopping at International Mall, swimming and snorkeling at Caladesi Island, visiting to Solomon's Castle for a medieval lunch party and a trip to Wild Waters.
- Horsing Around Camp: June 18-22 for ages 8-15. Participants learn the basics of horse grooming and care, as well as riding techniques and driving. There will be a trail ride in the Croom Forest, daily swimming and lunch at the Whispering Oaks pool. Participants wishing to bring their own horse must provide proof of the Coggins Test and make advanced arrangements. Horses will be provided to all others. The cost is $215.
- PADI Scuba Certification Courses: PADI Seals, June 11-15 for ages 8-12 for $300; PADI Scuba, July 16-20 for ages 12 and older for $300; and advanced PADI Scuba, July 21 and 22 for ages 12 and older who have passed PADI certification. This includes five open water dives and a boat trip; the cost is $250. All courses will be at the Whispering Oaks pool in Ridge Manor.
- Basketball Camp: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 18-22 and July 9-13 at Challenger K-8 School. For ages 8-14. The cost is $75 per session; extended care is available, starting at 7:30 a.m. and ending 5:30 p.m., for an additional $10. Participants must bring their own drinks, snacks and lunch. A towel is recommended. There is an optional trip to Buccaneer Bay on that Friday.
More information: All summer camp programs through Hernando County Recreation require a one-time, nonrefundable $10 registration fee per child. Unless otherwise specified, most camps meet each morning at the Recreation Department's Community Activity Center, 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville.
Call the information hotline at 754-4823 or call the Recreation Department at 754-4031.
[Last modified March 31, 2007, 07:25:52]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]