Chinsegut offers variety of acivities
By TIMES STAFF
Published April 18, 2007
Chinsegut Nature Center will host the following events and programs:
- Tropical Soda Apple Work Day, 9 to 11 a.m. Tuesday. Volunteers are needed to help eradicate this invasive exotic from the nature center grounds. Bring leather work gloves and a shovel.
- Chinsegut Butterfly Walk, 9 to 11 a.m. May 1. Bring binoculars and a butterfly field guide.
- Florida's Venomous Snakes and their Look-a-Likes, 7 to 8:30 p.m. June 5. Presented by Jim Mendenhall.
- Chinsegut Night Walk, 8 to 10 p.m. June 8. Bring a flashlight and insect repellent.
- Introductory Archery Workshop, 9 to 11 a.m. June 23. Preregistration is required. Equipment will be provided.
Unless otherwise specified, all programs are free and are at the nature center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville. Seating is limited and reservations are advised. Call 754-6722.
Learn to keep clean marinas, boatyards
The U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, Hernando Beach Flotilla 15-8, along with the Pinellas County flotilla and the Clean Marina and Clean Boatyard Program, will present a free workshop 9 a.m. to noon Monday at the auxiliary facility, 4340 Calienta St.
Attendees will learn how to keep marinas and boat yards environmentally safe. Those interested in participating are asked to RSVP to Judy Ashton, 813 632-7600, ext. 342, or send e-mail to judy.ashton@ dep.state.fl.
Sign up for sheriff's summer camps
The Hernando County Sheriff's Office is accepting applications for the Sheriff's ROAR Summer Day Camp 2007.
The camp, held in partnership with Eckerd Youth Alternatives/Hi-Five, is for children ages 6 to 12 and is offered at no cost. Sheriff's school resource officers and Eckerd Youth staff will serve as camp counselors.
Each child may only attend one week-long session, where they will learn leadership skills, social skills, and safety through arts and crafts, games and team sports. Snacks and lunches will be provided.
Camps dates and locations:
- June 4-8, Nature Coast Technical High School
- June 11-15, Fox Chapel Middle School
- June 18-22, Eastside Elementary
All camps will be from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily.
Applications are available in the sheriff's main office at 18900 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville; the District 2 office at 7485 Forest Oaks Blvd., Spring Hill; and at all elementary and middle schools. All applications must be either mailed or dropped off at either sheriff's office locations.
For information, call Vickie Porter, at 754-6830, ext. 53664.
[Last modified April 18, 2007, 07:06:49]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]