St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Email editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

4 die after van is left running in garage

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published April 20, 2007


ADVERTISEMENT

DELRAY BEACH - Two elderly couples apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a van was left running in a garage near their condominiums, Palm Beach County authorities said Thursday.

The bodies of Murray Zadan, 83, and his wife, Naomi, 78, and Elliot Levine, 78, and his wife, Mildred, 76, were discovered in their Lexington Club condominiums Wednesday night, sheriff officials said.

Neighbors became concerned and contacted authorities Wednesday evening because they had not seen the Levines for most of the day, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Pete Palenzuela said.

Authorities said a van, believed to be owned by the Zadans, was found running in a garage near both condominiums.

Keys had been left in the van's ignition, its lights were dim and its gas tank was empty, Palenzuela said.

The two couples' condos showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Tests in other units inside the same building showed lower levels of the poison.

Residents of those other condos were made ill by the gas, Palenzuela said.

[Last modified April 20, 2007, 00:31:52]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT