tampabay.com

4 die after van is left running in garage

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published April 20, 2007


DELRAY BEACH - Two elderly couples apparently died from carbon monoxide poisoning after a van was left running in a garage near their condominiums, Palm Beach County authorities said Thursday.

The bodies of Murray Zadan, 83, and his wife, Naomi, 78, and Elliot Levine, 78, and his wife, Mildred, 76, were discovered in their Lexington Club condominiums Wednesday night, sheriff officials said.

Neighbors became concerned and contacted authorities Wednesday evening because they had not seen the Levines for most of the day, sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Pete Palenzuela said.

Authorities said a van, believed to be owned by the Zadans, was found running in a garage near both condominiums.

Keys had been left in the van's ignition, its lights were dim and its gas tank was empty, Palenzuela said.

The two couples' condos showed high levels of carbon monoxide.

Tests in other units inside the same building showed lower levels of the poison.

Residents of those other condos were made ill by the gas, Palenzuela said.