Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By TIMES STAFF
Published May 2, 2007
May 25 - Last day of school for teachers.
Anclote Elementary: Fine Arts Festival, 5 p.m. Thursday. Advisory Council meeting, 4 p.m. Monday. PTO Skate Party, 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Astro Skate in Tarpon Springs.
Calusa Elementary: Pizza Party, 5 to 7 p.m. Friday. Cost is $5. School Dance, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Parental supervision is required.
Cypress Elementary: Book Fair, Monday through May 11. Family Story Telling Night, 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Gulf Highlands Elementary: Field Day, Friday.
Northwest Elementary: Second annual Spanish Fashion Show, 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday.
- High School Musical, presented by Dayspring Academy Junior High students at 7 p.m. Friday at Calvary Chapel Worship Epicenter, Trouble Creek Road, New Port Richey. Tickets are $7 for show only; $10 for show and dinner.
Center for the Arts at River Ridge, 11646 Town Center Road, New Port Richey.
- Deer Park Elementary concert, 6 p.m. today.
- Cypress Elementary concert, 7 p.m. Thursday.
- Hudson High band concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
- Ridgewood High band concert, 1 p.m. Sunday.
- Hudson Middle band concert, 7 p.m. Monday.
Youth library events
Centennial Park Library, 5740 Moog Road, Holiday. 727 834-3204.
- Mother's Day Gift Making, 2 p.m. Saturday. For elementary ages.
- The Hudson High Cobra Athletics Golf Tournament will be held May 12 at the Beacon Woods Golf and Country Club. Registration is 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. with shotgun start at 1:30 p.m. Cost is $50 per person or $200 per team. Lunch is provided. Deadline to sign up is May 9. For information, call Tim Stratton or Linda McQuade at (727) 774-4200.
- The Pasco County Compassionate Friends, a support group for those grieving the loss of a child, will hold its third annual Walk to Remember at 9:30 a.m. May 19 at Jay B. Starkey Wilderness Park, 10500 Wilderness Park Road, New Port Richey. For information or to register, call (813) 273-8721.
- The following Mitchell High School students received awards at the Pasco Regional Science Fair: First Place: Branden Anglin, Samantha Beach, Jennifer Post, Miriam Stevens, Jayne Raponi. Second place: Kevin McDermott. Third place: Antonia Calabrese, Mihail Stojanovski, Ruan Vosloo. Fourth place: Harry Helmrich, Mike Jenkins, Brianna Hovsepian.
- The following Deer Park Elementary School students were first place winners in the school's Young Inventors Fair and went on to compete in the Pasco County competition: Michaela Abelgas, John Donovan, Christian Gendebien, Savannah Hammel, Harrison Keslar, Jenna Lighthall, Michael Mekus, Brianna Ranilovich.
- Ashley Duvall was named Student of the Month at Marchman Technical Education Center.
Send your school news to Michele Miller by fax: (727) 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes or (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. Call Michele Miller at (727) 869-6251 or toll-free, 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.