St. Petersburg Times
Tampa Bay
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Letter to the editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Son's reaction helps mom smother flames in home

By MICHAEL A. MOHAMMED
Published May 2, 2007


ADVERTISEMENT
photo
[Times photo: Skip O'Rourke]
Mariseli Diaz with her son, Richard Cubi, 13.

RIVERVIEW - A 13-year-old boy's quick thinking saved his home when a faulty extension cord caught fire Tuesday.

His mother, Mariseli Diaz, woke suddenly when flames licked her hand about 8:30 a.m. The headboard of her bed shifted when Diaz moved away, sending fire shooting up the wall and nearly setting her hair afire.

The sleep-addled Diaz, 30, panicked. She filled a measuring cup from the kitchen sink and dumped it onto the flames.

Meanwhile, smoke filled the apartment and set off the fire alarm, waking her son Richard Cubi, 13. He could barely see through the smoke.

As his mother dumped a second ineffectual quart of water on the blaze, Richard brought her the extinguisher they keep by the washing machine. But the boy struggled to pull the pin.

Diaz took it from him, yanked the pin free and smothered the flames.

"She's a lot stronger than me," Richard said.

After firefighters put out the smoldering bed, grayish dust covered the apartment.

Dave Tucker, a Hillsborough fire inspector, said he blames a faulty extension cord Diaz bought at the Big Top Flea Market at E Fowler Avenue and U.S. Highway 301 two weeks before.

She got three for a dollar each from a vendor. The first two shorted out immediately, but the third seemed to work fine - until it nearly killed her.

Tucker said he's very worried that others have purchased the white, unbranded three-outlet cords and may be in danger.

"I do believe it is a manufacturing issue," he said. "There's too many unknowns for me to speculate how big this is."

The market was closed Tuesday, but when it opens an investigator will take and test the cords, Tucker said. Once they trace them to a manufacturer and figure out how many were made, a recall may be issued.

Michael A. Mohammed can be reached at mmohammed@sptimes.com or 813 226-3404.

[Last modified May 1, 2007, 22:55:00]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT