Duke MBA students punished for cheating

Published May 2, 2007

RALEIGH, N.C. - The largest cheating scandal ever at Duke University's Fuqua School of Business involved more than a take-home exam, a business school official said Tuesday.

After finding consistencies in exam answers, "the professor said, 'Let me take a look at other stuff that's been handed in, ' " said Mike Hemmerich, an associate dean at the business school. A judicial board later investigated the final exam and other assignments, resulting in the punishment of 34 graduate students.

Nine students face expulsion from the competitive two-year program, which will cost first-year students in 2007 almost $50, 000 for tuition, books and a laptop computer. Another 15 students could be suspended for one year and receive a failing grade in the course.

Nine others are set to get a failing grade, and one student could receive a failing grade on an assignment separate from the exam. Four others were found not guilty, Hemmerich said.

The students have until May 17 to appeal. They were allowed to finish classes last week and are taking final exams.

Duke has not identified the professor who gave the exam, and Hemmerich said federal privacy laws prevent the school from identifying students. The average age of students in the first-year class is 29. More than 1, 140 people applied for only 411 available spots in the program.

A survey released last year by Rutgers University professor Don McCabe showed 56 percent of MBA students acknowledged cheating in 2005. In other fields, 47 percent of graduate students said they cheated.

15 are expelled in Air Force scandal

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. - Fifteen cadets were expelled from the Air Force Academy in a cheating scandal and three others resigned, school commanders said Tuesday. Thirteen others were placed on probation.

The cadets, all freshmen, either confessed or were found guilty by an honor board of sharing answers to a test of knowledge about the Air Force. Academy officials said the cadets forwarded test answers through an Internet social group and private computer messages. The school had disclosed the investigation in February.