tampabay.com

No criminal charges in tourist's death

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published May 6, 2007


KEY WEST - No criminal charges will be filed in the death of a tourist, 26, who died from carbon monoxide poisoning at a Keys hotel, prosecutors said.

The Monroe County State Attorney's Office made the announcement Friday, the same day the Legislature passed a measure mandating carbon monoxide detectors in hotel boiler rooms and certain homes constructed after July 2008.

A Michigan man and his son were poisoned by fumes at the Doubletree Grand Key Resort in December. The son died. A week earlier, three tourists became sick in the same room, but survived. Civil lawsuits are pending.