Michael Moore under investigation
By TIMES WIRES
Published May 11, 2007
Academy Award-winning filmmaker Michael Moore is being investigated by the Treasury Department for taking ailing Sept. 11 rescue workers to Cuba for a segment in his upcoming health-care documentary Sicko, the Associated Press reported Thursday. The department notified Moore in a letter dated May 2 that it was conducting a civil investigation for possible violations of the U.S. trade embargo restricting travel to Cuba. The Associated Press obtained a copy of the letter. In March, Moore took about 10 ailing workers from the Ground Zero rescue effort for treatment in Cuba, the AP said. Moore declined to comment, said spokeswoman Lisa Cohen. In a statement, Sicko producer Meghan O'Hara said the investigation might be an attempt to undermine the film, which takes the health-care industry to task in the manner of Moore's controversial documentaries Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11. Sicko debuts in theaters June 29.
Forget that $10-million bid for 'Dukes' car
A nearly $10-million eBay bid for a car made famous by The Dukes of Hazzard seems to have vanished faster than the Duke boys escaping from the sheriff. The General Lee's owner, John Schneider, who played Bo Duke in the TV series, is upset that the $9, 900, 500 winning bid appears to be a hoax. The bid set an eBay record last week, the Associated Press said. Schneider plans to list his 1969 Dodge Charger with an auction firm that strictly screens buyers and may file a lawsuit against the bidder, said Allen Stockman, who runs the star's Agoura Hills, Calif., estate and has sold other items on eBay. The winning bidder, William Fisher, did not return e-mails and did not answer phone calls.