Young scientists earn honors at state contest
By TIMES STAFF
Published May 16, 2007
After winning awards at the Regional Science and Engineering Fair, middle and high school students from Pasco County attended the 52nd Annual State Engineering and Science Fair held April 11-13 in Fort Myers. The following students were named winners:
- Jaclyn Rossi, Clearwater Catholic: third place, senior behavioral science, for "Tanning: Exploring the Attitudes of Teens."
- Samantha Beach, J.W. Mitchell High: senior recognition, biochemistry, for "Effect of Alcohol on Biological Membranes."
- Jayne-Marie Raponi, J.W. Mitchell High: honorable mention, senior botany, for "What is the Effect of Acid Rain on Plant Growth?"
- Harold Hedrick, River Ridge High: senior recognition, engineering, and a four-year $9, 600 scholarship to the University of Central Florida for "Running on Empty."
- Joshua Hammer, Centennial Middle: second place, junior medicine and health, for "Effects of Magnetism on T-Cell Development."
- Brandon Allickson, Seven Springs Middle: second place, junior environmental, and Scientific American certificate and subscription for "Effects of Three Elements on the Life of a Lake Snail."
- Jillian Rossi, Bishop Larkin Catholic: third place, junior medicine and health, and American Heart Association Award of $50 savings bond for "A Lot of Clot? Testing Catheters."
- Miguel Alcantara, Seven Springs Middle: junior recognition, physics, for "Speedy Cars."