Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Around and about
By JOHN C. COTEY and IZZY GOULD
Published May 23, 2007
Golf for the military
Active-duty military personnel can play Lake Jovita Golf and Country Club on Saturday, Armed Forces Day, for $30 a round after noon, head golf pro Jim Hafner announced Tuesday.
Hafner also said all active-duty personnel can play 2-for-1 for $99 after noon from May 20 through Sept. 30.
Both special rates includes 18 holes, cart and use of practice facilities. Tee times can be reserved up to two days in advance. For more information, call 352-588-9200.
- Ridgewood's coaching staff will host a camp for boys and girls, ages 9-15 from June 4 through 8. Individual and team fundamentals will be taught along with daily contests. Each participant will receive a basketball. Cost is $55 per person. For further information, contact Gary Anders at 727-774-3933.
- Pasco High girls basketball coach John Edwards will hold the Edwards Basketball School of Champions from 8 a.m.-noon June 4-11 and June 11-14 for boys and girls grades 5-9. The camp is $60 per week, which includes a T-shirt, and will be held at the Pasco High gym. For more information, call Edwards at 813-355-7860.
- Mitchell boys coach Larry Holden will hold a camp for boys in grades 3-12 from 9 a.m.-noon on June 18-22. The cost is $65 and includes a T-shirt for each camper. For more information, call 727-774-9200.
- River Ridge will hold its Knight Time Baseball Camp June 11-14 from 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. at the high school baseball field. The camp is open to all students in grades 6-9 and is $60, which includes a T-shirt. For more information, call 727-774-7224.
- The Saint Leo baseball team will host its summer camps in June at Southard Stadium. There will be three sessions offered: youth camps ages 8-14 from June 4-7 and June 11-14 and a high school camp (ages 15-18 from June 18-21). Saint Leo coach Ricky Ware and assistants Daniel Hersey and Copley Gerdes will provide instruction. Cost for the camp is $130 per person.
Printable registration forms are available at www.SaintLeoLions.com. For more information, call 352-588-8225.
Local golf pro Jan Johnson will hold her annual junior golf academy May 28 running through Aug. 15 at the Golden Run Ranch in Hudson. Classes will be held on Mondays and Wednesdays each week. Range sessions are on Monday evenings from 6-7 p.m. and golf course play days are Wednesday evenings from 6-8 p.m.
The schedule includes 12 range and 11 course meetings. A maximum of six juniors ages 9-17 will be accepted. The cost is $225 and includes instruction at the range and golf course, range balls and golf course fees. Golfers may bring an experienced friend for a play day. The guest fee is $20. For more information, call Johnson at (727) 856-5585.
The Tampa Bay Chapter of the Virginia Tech Alumni Association will hold its 10th annual Hokie Open on June 1 at the Fox Hollow Golf Club in Trinity. All proceeds benefit the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund, assisting the families of victims as well as others who were injured, while memorializing all those who lost their lives April 16.
The tournament will be four-person Captain's Choice. Tee time is 1 p.m. with a shotgun start. The cost for a four-person team is $400, corporate team $550 and individual $100. The corporate package includes a four-player team and hole sponsorship sign. All fees include range balls and dinner. For information on playing in or sponsoring the tournament, contact Kevin McWilliams at 813-273-8509, 727-207-3806 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Gulf High athletic department is holding its annual golf scramble June 3 at 1 p.m. at the Fox Hollow Golf Club The cost is $75 per player, which includes golf, cart, door prizes and dinner after play at Windows on the Green. Hole sponsorships are also available for $100. Proceeds benefit the athletic department. Contact Paul Girardi at 727-774-3339 or Jerry Young at 727-774-3375 for more details.
The Saint Leo men's and women's soccer teams will host their annual Saint Leo academy camp programs this summer beginning June 4. The camps will be run by men's soccer coach Joel Harrison and women's soccer coach Ged O'Connor, along with assistants. There will be four levels: Cub Camp (ages 5-7 from June 4-7); Lion Camp (ages 8-12 from June 4-7); Residential & Team Camp (ages 10-18 from July 7-10); Goalkeeper Camp (ages 10-18 from July 7-10).
- CPUSA will hold competitive tryouts June 2-3 at the Collier Fields at 3032 Collier Parkway in Land O'Lakes. For more information, visit www.cpusasoccer.com or contact Fran Reidy at email@example.com.