Many events to honor heroes who died for U.S.
By TIMES STAFF
Published May 26, 2007
Remember those who gave the last full measure of devotion. There are a variety of events around mid and North Pinellas this holiday weekend commemorating Memorial Day:
- The American Legion Post 46 of Tarpon Springs will have its Memorial Day service at 10 a.m. Sunday at Cycadia Cemetery, 1105 E Tarpon Ave., Tarpon Springs. Call 937-3602.
- Former Congressman Mike Bilirakis of Tarpon Springs will speak at the Memorial Day sunset ceremony at 7 p.m. Monday at the Military Court of Honor in Largo Central Park, 101 Central Park Drive. Call 587-6775.
- Honor, gather and salute veterans at 11:30 a.m. Monday at Moss-Feaster Funeral Home and Serenity Gardens, 13401 Indian Rocks Road, Largo. The event is open to the public and attendees will receive carnations. Call 595-2914.
- U.S. Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Palm Harbor, will speak at the Curlew Hills Funeral Home Memorial Day Service at 9:30 a.m. Monday at the cemetery, 1750 Curlew Road, Palm Harbor. Join more than 200 members of 20 veterans organizations while a wreath is placed at the circle of valor. Call 789-2000.
- A former Marines Corps raider will speak at a Memorial Day remembrance service at 11 a.m. Monday at Church of the Good Shepherd, 639 Edgewater Drive, Dunedin. Bagpipes and drummers will also be at the event.
Chance to learn of impact of AIDS
Don't think HIV/AIDS affects you? Get educated and get involved. Pastors, community members and leaders will work to develop a plan to address the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Clearwater from 9 a.m. to noon on June 2 at St. John Missionary Baptist Church, 1500 Pennsylvania Ave. Call 446-6137.
Caregivers plan bowling party
The Caregivers of Adults with Down Syndrome will have a bowling party at 1:30 p.m. today at Clearwater AMF Lanes, 1850 N. Hercules Ave. Call 797-0288.
Rise and shine at Ocean Mile Swim
Up early and raring to go? The Clearwater Beach Patrol sixth annual Ocean Mile Swim series one starts at 6 a.m. today north of Pier 60 on Clearwater Beach. Registration is $30. Proceeds support the Junior Life Guard Program and the Lifeguard Competition Team. Race all three series and save $10. Call 462-6963.
Golf family fun day offers much more
Like bratwurst and putting? The Kiwanis Club of Palm Harbor's 10th annual Memorial Day miniature golf family fun day is from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday at Congo River Golf, 20060 U.S. 19 N. Entertainment will include clowns and face-painting. Hotdogs and bratwursts will be on sale. Proceeds support projects for children. Call 588-6533 during the day and 785-6967 at night.
INDIAN ROCKS BEACH
Let boat's spirit sail with blessing
Does your boat need a blessing? The Indian Rocks Beach Blessing of the Fleet will be from 10 a.m. to noon today at the Holiday Inn Harbourside Marina, 401 Second St., Indian Rocks Beach. Call 510-6153.