St. Petersburg Times
World & Nation
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Letter to the editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message


Published May 27, 2007


Philip M. Kaiser, 93, a former ambassador to Austria, Hungary, Senegal and Mauritania who acted during the Cuban missile crisis to deny the Soviet Union landing rights at airports where its planes might refuel, died Thursday in Washington. Mr. Kaiser, an assistant secretary of labor during the Truman administration, was the U.S. ambassador to Senegal and Mauritania from 1961 to 1964. President Jimmy Carter named him ambassador to Hungary in 1977, and he played a key role in persuading that administration to return the Crown of St. Stephen to Hungary in 1978. It had been in U.S. hands since 1945.


Marion King Jackson, 74, who became a rallying point in the civil rights movement after a kick by a deputy caused her to miscarry, died Tuesday during heart surgery in Atlanta, family members said. She was an assistant city attorney in Atlanta during the administrations of mayors Maynard Jackson and Andrew Young. On July 22, 1962, she went to the Mitchell County jail near Camilla, Ga., to take food to jailed demonstrators. She was told to leave, pushed to the ground, and kicked in the abdomen by a sheriff's deputy. Six months pregnant, she lost consciousness and later miscarried. The next day, hundreds marched through nearby Albany's streets in protest, galvanizing support for the movement in southwest Georgia.


Norm Maleng, 68, who was prosecutor of Washington state's largest county since 1978 and spared the life of the nation's deadliest convicted serial killer, died after collapsing Thursday at a University of Washington fundraising event. He presided over the prosecution of Gary Ridgway, the Green River serial killer. Although Mr. Maleng was a death-penalty advocate, in 2003 he agreed not to seek execution when Ridgway pleaded guilty to killing 48 women and offered to help locate remains that had been missing for two decades.


Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, 74, who received the Nobel Prize in physics in 1991 for studying the boundary lines between order and disorder in materials like liquid crystals and polymers, died Friday in Orsay, a Paris suburb. Discovered in the late 19th century, liquid crystals are now common in computer displays and flat-screen televisions.


Harold E. Froehlich, 84, who designed a deep-sea vessel used to explore the wreckage of the Titanic and search for ocean life forms, died May 19 at a suburban Minneapolis hospital. Mr. Froehlich was named project manager for the vessel, named Alvin, in 1962. It could reach depths of more than 14, 000 feet

[Last modified May 27, 2007, 00:45:47]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters