tampabay.com

Fire from candles kills 37 pets, injures owner

By ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published May 29, 2007


MIAMI - A fire killed 32 cats and five dogs and sent their owner to a hospital, authorities said Monday.

Untended candles sparked the blaze Saturday night in the home, which had been without electricity since Hurricane Katrina, Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue officials said.

The homeowner, a 57-year-old woman whose name was not released, was treated for smoke inhalation. Rescue workers used animal oxygen masks and performed CPR to rescue about a dozen pets, said a Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue spokesman.

The county is holding the rescued animals until the woman is released from the hospital. The Red Cross is helping relocate her.

 

Man held in shooting commits suicide in jail

MIAMI - A man charged with fatally shooting the manager of a North Miami Burger King hanged himself in a local jail, marking the fifth death there in the past year.

Waltaire Choute, 23, killed himself Saturday night in his cell at Metro West Detention Center. Authorities said Monday he apparently used a bedsheet.