Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By MICHELE MILLER
Published May 30, 2007
TELL US HOW YOU'RE SPENDING YOUR SUMMER
It's officially summer break for most Pasco students and teachers, so Top of the Class is going on hiatus till August as well.
Even so, we're still looking to feature positive stories about how kids and their mentors will be filling those summer days. Whether it's summer camp, a summer job, a favorite hobby, or travel to faraway places or perhaps your own back yard, let us know. Maybe we'll write that What I Did Over Summer Vacation essay for you.
Monday is the first day of school for extended school year services.
June 6: Final report cards are distributed.
June 15: Last day of school for extended school year services.
Aug. 13: First day of 2007-08 school year for teachers.
Aug. 14: Middle and high school orientation.
Aug. 15: Elementary school orientation.
Aug. 20: First day of 2007-08 school year for students.
- Registration for students coming to the new Charles S. Rushe Middle School in Land O'Lakes, from schools other than Pine View Middle, Oakstead Elementary, Denham Oaks Elementary, Lake Myrtle Elementary, Seven Springs Middle and Longleaf Elementary, will be conducted each Wednesday during June and July and also June 25 and July 5. Required documentation includes proof of residency (utility bill, lease, etc.), birth certificate, Social Security card, physical and immunization records, and last report card. For a registration packet or to make an appointment, call (813) 346-1207.
- The Pasco County Compassionate Friends, a support group for those grieving the loss of a child, will meet at 7:30 p.m. June 20 at Community Hospital, conference Room C, 5637 Marine Parkway, New Port Richey. For information, call (813) 273-8721.
Youth Library Events
Summer Reading programs are starting up at Pasco Libraries. Special events and presentations are scheduled throughout the coming weeks for youngsters of all ages. For information or to register for a summer reading program, contact the library of your choice.
- Pine View Elementary Tropicana Speech Winners: first place, Anand Rehsi; second place, Ian White; third place, Sarah Wasson.
- Abby Gimson was named Student of the Month at Pine View Elementary School.
- John Long Middle School Students of the Month: Kayla Stiftinger, Alyssa Cordero, Taylor Hixson, Sara Miller, Hank Baraldi, Kevin Collazo, Sam Eder, Julie Bryan. Citizens of the Month: Jessica Rosengold, Michael Letterman, Ian Sourk, Dustin Mitchell, Shantal Desvignes, Shekeinah Hill, Nivia Lopez, Sherry Elfering. School-level Tropicana Speech Finalists: sixth-grade, Kaliegh Bentley, Katelyn Waldron, Abby Still; seventh- and eighth-grade Expository Winners, Taylor Baskin, Anastasia Stroup; seventh- and eighth-grade Persuasive Winners, Ledy Escalente, Sara Miller.
- Pine View Middle Students of the Month: Brandon Daniels, Samantha Resnick. Tropicana Speech Contest winners were Marci Crowley, Olivia Kabat and Susej Almora.
- West Zephyrhills Elementary Tropicana Speech Winners: first, Sydney Owens; second, Kayla Delafield; third, Deni Murphy. Kiwanis SuperKids of the Month: Robert Hartzell, Omar Estrada, Devon Shank, Jordan Gennaro, Elexis Twardosz, Mary Bone, Samantha Schlender, Heather Wittenberg, Brooke Dicken, Ashley Cornelius. Citizen on the Month was Vincent Trang.
- Cox Elementary Students of the Month: Gisel Torres, Daniela Venegas, Roberto Gonzalez, Ramon Sanchez, Lucia Castillo, Dominick Graham, Alphonso Brown, Joshua Rizer, Jose Ceballos, Elsa Berrera, Alonzo Singleton, Jose Garcia, Keyla Figueroa, Lidia Sanchez, Evodio Rodriguez, Jacqueline Padilla, Now Popoca, La'Ron Adams, Alexander Molina, Esmerelda Ramirez, Kailey Lopez, Alberto Diaz, Erik Ibarra, Joaquin Espininoza, Zaid Avalos, Jasmine Gilbert, Cameron Matthews, Alfloyd Mobley, Azure Gallimore.
- Pasco High School Class of 2007 Academic Honors: Top 10 graduates, Kattia Roedel, Patrick Weightman, Felicia Burt, Megan Barthle, Ryan Dodd, Lauren Farley, Jarrod Prater, Brittney McDougal, Kala Glavich, Ricky Tessaro.
- The following Oakstead Elementary students were selected to attend the first Otto Achievement for going above and beyond what is expected of them. They have worked hard in the areas of academics, behavior, physical fitness or confidence: Patrick Aller, Ian Andersen, Maygan Ansley, Makayla Ansley, Brittney Brinkley, David Castillo, Tyler Cole, Taylor Curry, Amber Fleer, Ryleigh Gaston, Bianca Gonzalez, Brandon Gross, Jesse Hernandez, Kayleigh Hunter, Emily Karagounis, Daniel Keyser, Max Law, Matthew Mancuso, Tyler Marchok, Cheyenne McCarthy, Devin McDermand, Jennifer Michaels, Samantha Mortlock, Jackie Nguyen, Austen Quarles, Quinten Quarles, Justin Pedraza, Kriztifer Pyle, Joey Rafter, Eduardo Rios, Logan Roque, Nicholas Santiago, Tayler Azevedo-Snyder, Tyler Schutter, Dreu Smith, Ryan Van Glahn, Cheyenne Williams, Nigel Zyki.
- Centennial Middle School sixth-grade Tropicana Speech Winners: First place, Austin Riddaugh; second place, Caylie Cook; third place, Casey Melton. Classroom winners: Timmy Blomely, Alex Timer, Amber Eldridge, Emily Turner, Josh Frazier, Kiefer Sullivan, Nikolas Weeks, Emily Copeland, Christian Sanchez, Emily Thibeault.
- Weightman Middle School Students of the Month: Ashleigh Williams, Joshua Tardieu, Alysa Mason, Taylor Ballard, Morgan Forni, Vincent Evangelista. Schoolwide Student of the Month: Alysa Mason. Citizens of the Month: Kayla Scott, Stacey Miller, Maria Casillas, Mackenzie McAnallen, Phillip Kreuscher, Bianca Tolve. Schoolwide Citizen of the Month: Kayla Scott. Athlete of the Month: Michael Sikes.
Just send your ideas to Michele Miller by fax: 727 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes or (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. Call Michele Miller at (727) 869-6251, or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.