Children can learn basic cooking in Rec department's summer class
By TIMES WIRES
Published May 30, 2007
Cooking classes for children will be offered this summer through Hernando County Recreation.
Chef Trish will provide classes to children in various age groups from 3 to 18 years old. Participants will learn basic cooking skills, table setting and manners, eating styles, menu planning, healthy choices and the food pyramid.
Classes will begin in June and will be offered for three hours a day for one week (Monday-Friday) at the Recreation Department, 205 E Fort Dade Ave.
The cost is $100 for the week. For information or to sign up, call the Recreation Department at 754-4031 or Chef Trish at 596-5175.
Commission to fill volunteer board seats
The Hernando County Commission is accepting applications from individuals wishing to serve on the following volunteer boards:
- Enterprise Zone Development Agency. There is a vacancy for a representative of the financial/insurance sector, with a term through May 22, 2011. There are also three vacancies for Enterprise Zone resident positions, which expire May 22, 2010.
The EZDA Advisory Board is charged with implementing the Enterprise Zone Strategic Revitalization Plan, identifying and making recommendations of ways to remove regulatory barriers, and identifying the financial needs and resources available to eligible businesses in the Enterprise Zone. An enterprise zone is an area with chronic economic problems, designated as a place where private businesses become eligible to receive tax credits and refunds in return for the provision of jobs and property revitalization.
All applicants must be residents of the Enterprise Zone and registered Hernando County voters.
- Hernando County Fine Arts Council. There are two unexpired terms on the council, one effective through Dec. 31, 2008, and the other through Dec. 31, 2010.
The purpose of the Fine Arts Council is to promote the arts and to support groups associated with the arts in Hernando County.
All applicants must be Hernando County residents and registered voters.
Applications are available at the County Administrator's Office, Room 461, Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St., Brooksville. Applications for both volunteer boards must be returned to the office before 5 p.m. June 18. For information, call 754-4002.
Nature center offers instructional programs
Chinsegut Nature Center will host the following events and programs in June:
- Project Wet, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday. This program is for all educators; in-service credit is available. Pre-registration is required.
- Chinsegut Night Walk, 8 to 10 p.m. June 8. Bring a flashlight and insect repellent.
- Introductory Archery Workshop, 9 to 11 a.m. June 23. Equipment will be provided. Pre-registration is required.
All programs are free and at the nature center, 23212 Lake Lindsey Road, north of Brooksville. For information or reservations, call 754-6722.
Soccer tryouts set at Ernie Wever Park
Hernando Youth League's Brooksville United Soccer Association will conduct its competitive soccer tryouts Saturday at Ernie Wever Park, 14395 Youth Drive, off Ponce de Leon Boulevard (behind Florida Highway Patrol).
Tryout times will be 9 a.m. for U-14 girls and U-13 boys on Field 9; 9 a.m. for U-9, U-10 and U-12 boys and girls at Fields 12 and 13; and 10:30 a.m. for U-14 and U-15 boys on Field 9.
All attendees must bring cleats, shin guards, water and their birth certificates. For details, call coach Frank Villaizan at 666-5461 or visit the Web site at www.brooksvillesoccer.com.