Crime journal

Published June 16, 2007


Man killed after picking up woman

A Tampa man killed early Friday may have been shot by the boyfriend of a woman he took to a motel, police said. Dwayne Marlon Simms, 24, of Tampa was killed around 4 a.m. Friday. Police say Simms and a friend were at the Village Motel at 4100 W Hillsborough Ave. with two women they met at Club Mirage. Fifteen minutes after one of the women called her boyfriend, two men came to the motel and shot Simms, police said. The two men and two women fled, possibly in a two-door maroon Ford Probe.

Woman pleads guilty to tax fraud

An Ocoee woman has pleaded guilty to charges of filing fraudulent income tax returns using inmate identities. Debra Robinson, 46, faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison and a $100, 000 fine. Robinson was one of seven people indicted in July 2006 for allegedly using the names and Social Security numbers from the Florida Department of Corrections intranet to collect nearly $1-million in false claims. Among those indicted were Daniel Goodheart, 36, a former psychiatric counselor for the Okeechobee Correctional Institution, and Frankie Jackson, 32, a former corrections officer there. Charges are still pending against both of them.


Head-on wreck kills one, injures 3

A 47-year-old woman died in a head-on collision when her Saturn and a Dodge minivan collided on Mills Bridge Road near Timberland Boulevard on Friday afternoon. Florida Highway Patrol Cpl. Toni Shields said it appeared the Saturn crossed the center line into the path of a southbound burgundy 2005 Dodge Caravan. Both vehicles were traveling about 50 mph, Shields said. Three passengers in the van were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital. The identity of the woman hadn't been released because her relatives hadn't been told of her death.


Gunman wounds man at his house

A 23-year-old man was critically wounded Friday evening in front of his house. No one had been arrested and investigators did not release a detailed description of the gunman or his car. Ian Travis Lawson was being treated at Bayfront Medical Center for several gunshots to his upper body, including at least one to his neck, said police Sgt. Mike Kovacsev. The shooting happened about 5:50 p.m. as Lawson was standing outside his house in the 800 block of 53rd Avenue N, police said. It was not immediately known what prompted the incident.