Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Fourth of July events
By TIMES STAFF
Published June 30, 2007
The following events have been planned in celebration of Independence Day. Unless otherwise noted, events will be July 4:
- Hernando Beach Yacht Club's Independence Day picnic, 5 to 9 p.m. today at the club, 4163 Shoal Line Blvd. Hamburgers, hot dogs, beans and salads will be served starting at 6:30 p.m. Entertainment provided from 5:30 to 9 p.m. by Bill Lindsey as Elvis, who also will give a special patriotic presentation. Tickets are $15 for adults and $7 for children younger than 12. Call Don at 596-2907, Jeanne at 683-9762, Karen at 592-0037 or Sam at 596-8782.
- Fourth of July picnic, hosted by the Ladies Auxiliary of AMVETS Post 24, noon to 5 p.m. today at the post, 247 Hallcrest Ave., Spring Hill. There will be hamburgers, hot dogs, salads and trimmings. Cost is $5 per person. For information, call 683-0203 after 4 p.m.
- High Point community's July Fourth Parade. Lineup will start at 8:30 a.m., with the parade starting at 9 and ending at the community center, where there will be a flag-raising ceremony. Monetary awards will be given to the best entry in various categories. For information, call 592-3829.
* Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 July Fourth celebration, 2 p.m., 14494 Cortez Blvd. Music will be provided by Mr. Lynn. Food will include hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, fruits, dessert and other selections. The cost is $3. For reservations, call 596-2582.
- Marine Corps League Detachment 708 July Fourth picnic, noon to 6 p.m. July 1, 8405 Sunshine Grove Road, Brooksville. Food will be available at 1:30 p.m. and will be hamburgers, brats, potato salad, beans and coleslaw. Music will be provided by Brian Chytka. The cost is $10, which includes tap beers and sodas. Tickets are available in the lounge from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. Call 597-7979.
- VFW Post 9236 will celebrate July Fourth with hamburgers and hot dogs from noon to 3 p.m. Music will be provided by JG Tunes. The post is at 3435 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Call 596-9236.
- Hernando Sportsman's Club's July Fourth Machine Gun Shoot, 9:30 a.m., at the club range in the Chassahowitzka Wildlife Management Area off U.S. 19, 9.5 miles north of Weeki Wachee. Five cars will be destroyed, along with other targets. Food will be available. Spectator admission is $2 for adults; children 15 and younger admitted free, but must be accompanied by an adult. Shooters with their own guns pay $20 to shoot for the day. Vendor spaces are $20. Call 597-9931 or visit the Web site at www.hernandosportsmansclub.com.
- VFW Post 10209 Fourth of July celebration, 1 to 4 p.m., 15166 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. Entertainment provided by Joey C. Beads will be given out in the canteen, while supplies last. There will be a public awareness on fire safety. Various food specials available. Call 796-0398.
* Fourth of July Flag Presentation and Memorial Service, hosted by VFW Post 8713 and Ladies Auxiliary, 10:45 a.m. at Golden Corral, 940 Broad St., Brooksville. Following the ceremony, hamburgers and hot dogs will be served at the post, 1686 E Jefferson St. There is no set cost; donations will be accepted. Call 799-4449.
- Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520's Fourth of July Barbecue, 3 p.m., 9135 Denton Ave., Hudson. The menu includes barbecue pork, cole slaw, baked beans potato salad and corn on the cob. Music provided by Jim and Jim from 3 to 7 p.m., followed by Karaoke by Annie. Tickets are $7 for adults, $3.50 for children younger than 10. Call (727) 863-2520.
- Polish American Social Club's Fourth of July Picnic, 7615 New Jersey Ave., Hudson. This is an indoor picnic. Doors open at 10 a.m., food served from noon to 1 p.m. and will be hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, dessert and coffee. Games will be from 1 to 3 p.m. and will include a cakewalk. Dancing will be from 3 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $5. Call Marcella, 597-5908.