By TIMES STAFF
Published June 30, 2007
The City of Brooksville Recreation Department will offer the following summer camps:
- "Happy Daze" Summer Camp: This is a recreational theme camp with two sessions offered, July 9-13 and July 16-20. Activities include air hockey, caroom, table tennis, schuffleboard, foosball, arts and crafts, horseshoes, badminton, movies, Scully and hopscotch. The cost is $50 and includes lunch.
- Baseball Camp: Two sessions, July 9-13 and July 16-20. The cost is $85 per session and includes lunch and a shirt.
- Volleyball Camp: July 23-27. For ages 9-14. The cost is $50 and includes lunch and a shirt.
- Floor Hockey Camp: Two sessions, July 30-Aug. 3 and Aug. 6-10. This camp is played without skates. The cost is $50 per session and includes lunch and a shirt.
- Tennis Camp: Two sessions, July 16-20. For ages 6-17. Beginner, intermediate and advanced players welcome. The cost is $90, which includes a shirt.
- Flag Football Camps: Aug. 6-10. The cost is $50, which includes a shirt and lunch.
Programs will be at the Jerome Brown Community Center in the Tom Varn Park complex, 99 Jerome Brown Place. Unless otherwise specified, programs are for children ages 6-12 and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. "After Care" will be offered from 3 to 5:30 p.m. for an additional $12 per week. For information, call 544-5498.
* * *
Hernando County Recreation will offer the following summer camps:
- Aqua Camp: July 9-13, for ages 10-14. Participants will canoe the river at Silver Glen Spring, ferry from Honeymoon to Caladesi, swim and snorkel for sand dollars, snorkel with manatees in Homosassa, swim at Salt Springs, snorkel and canoe the Suwannee River at Manatee Springs. The cost is $175. The cost includes all trips, a T-shirt and handouts.
- Beach Week: July 16-20, for ages 8-14. The program includes a tour of Fort De Soto, swimming and snorkeling, Caladesi Island, visiting Egmont Key lighthouse, snorkeling for shark teeth at Casperon Beach and a trip to Blizzard Beach. The cost is $165.
- Water Mania Camp: July 30-Aug. 3, for ages 8-14. Trips include Typhoon Lagoon, Adventure Island, tubing at Rock Springs, Wild Waters, Rainbow Springs and Wet N' Wild. The cost is $175.
- Young Adventurers Camp: July 23-27, for ages 7-9. Participants will swim and canoe at Lake Louise State Park, comb the shore at Caladesi Island, visit the Butterfly Rainforest and Museum of Natural History and cook their own pancakes at Hillsborough River State Park. The cost is $165.
- Volleyball Camp: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 16-20, for ages 8-14, at Challenger K-8 School. The cost is $75. Participants are to bring their own drinks, snacks and lunch. There will be an optional trip to Buccaneer Bay on that Friday, or participants may remain on site for extra volleyball contests. Extended care is available from 7:30 a.m. through 5:30 p.m. for an additional $10.
- PADI Scuba Certification Courses: PADI Scuba, July 16-20 for ages 12 and older for $300; and advanced PADI Scuba, July 21 and 22 for ages 12 and older who have passed PADI certification. This includes five open water dives and a boat trip; the cost is $250. All courses will be at the Whispering Oaks pool in Ridge Manor.
- Basketball Camp: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 9-13 at Challenger K-8 School. For ages 8-14. The cost is $75; extended care is available, starting at 7:30 a.m. and ending 5:30 p.m., for an additional $10. Participants must bring their own drinks, snacks and lunch. A towel is recommended. There is an optional trip to Buccaneer Bay on that Friday.
More information: All summer camp programs through Hernando County Recreation require a one-time, nonrefundable $10 registration fee per child. Unless otherwise specified, most camps meet each morning at the Recreation Department's Community Activity Center, 205 E Fort Dade Ave., Brooksville.
Call the information hotline at 754-4823 or call the Recreation Department at 754-4031.