Boards seeking qualified volunteers

Published July 6, 2007

Hillsborough County seeks qualified volunteers to serve on boards covering everything from development planning to child care and consumer protection. Applicants should be registered voters in Hillsborough County.

The following boards are among those with vacancies:

The Child Care Facilities Advisory Board counsels the County Commission on recommended amendments to the Child Care Facilities Ordinance and proposes additional rules and regulations to commissioners.

The Consumer Protection Board acts as a quasijudicial body to enforce provisions of the Consumer Protection Ordinance. Three terms are expiring, and two positions are vacant. Terms are for two years.

The Electrical Board of Adjustment, Appeals and Examiners confirms the competency and integrity of applicants applying for electrical certification in the county and disciplines contractors who fail to comply with the codes. One position is vacant.

The Family Child Care Home Advisory Board reviews and advises the County Commission on amendments to the Family Child Care Homes Licensing Ordinance.

The Gas Board of Adjustment, Appeals and Examiners governs the certification of gas contractors and enforces the standards set by the gas code. One position is vacant.

Other boards also have vacancies. They are the Health Council of West Central Florida; the Historic Resources Review Board; the Human Relations Board; the Land Use Appeals Board; the Mechanical Board of Adjustment, Appeals and Examiners; the NFL Youth Education Town Center of Tampa Bay; the Planning Commission; the Plumbing Board of Adjustment, Appeals and Examiners; and the Public Library Board.

Applications are available at the County Center, Second Floor, 601 E Kennedy Blvd., Tampa, by calling 272-5826, or on the Internet at www.hillsboroughcounty. org. Click "County Commission, " then "Advisory Boards and Committees, " then on "Application Questionnaire for County Appointments."

Applications must be received by Aug. 3.