Jail-bound Nicole confirms pregnancy
By TIMES WIRES
Published August 2, 2007
It's official: Nicole Richie is four months pregnant, and the father is her boyfriend, Joel Madden of the rock group Good Charlotte. During an interview with Diane Sawyer for Good Morning America, scheduled to air today and Friday (and Friday night on 20/20), Richie spilled the beans by saying, "Yes, I am. We are. I'm almost four months." In the latest issue of OK! magazine, on newsstands Wednesday, Richie says she is feeling "healthy and happy" and her life "is clearly going to slow down. . . . I will be really happy once I have done my jail time," says the 25-year-old star of TV's The Simple Life and on-again pal of Paris Hilton. "I can start fresh." Richie was sentenced to nearly four days in jail after pleading guilty last week to a misdemeanor charge of driving under the influence of drugs. "It was a fair, standard sentence," the daughter of pop singer Lionel Richie, tells OK! "I expected that." She must complete her jail time by Sept. 28.
Trying to legally peg Eddie Murphy as dad
Melanie Brown filed a court petition Wednesday that seeks to legally establish Eddie Murphy as the father of her 4-month-old daughter. Brown will also seek sole custody of Angel Iris Murphy Brown and reasonable child support, attorney Gloria Allred said at a Los Angeles news conference reported by the Associated Press. "Angel is my baby and Eddie's," Brown said. "She will always know that she was planned and wanted by both of us." Arnold Robinson, a spokesman for Murphy, declined to comment. Brown, a.k.a. Scary Spice of the Spice Girls, dated Murphy last year and has said the baby was planned. After they broke up, Murphy said he wasn't sure he was the father. Allred said in a statement that a DNA test has shown that Murphy is. The statement said the test "established paternity but paternity has not been legally acknowledged."
Muslim students protest Stefani tour
Gwen Stefani's tour isn't a Sweet Escape for nonfans in Malaysia. E! Online says Stefani's planned Aug. 21 show in Kuala Lumpur will go on despite protests from a Muslim student group. "Her video clips promoting the event are too obscene," Mohamad Hilmi Ramli, president of the National Union of Malaysian Muslim Students, told Reuters. "We want the organizers to cancel the concert, failing which we will ask the authorities to intervene." Promoters are predicting as many as 9,000 people may attend the show at Putra Indoor Stadium.