Around and about
By JOHN C. COTEY and IZZY GOULD
Published August 2, 2007
Wesley Chapel High will host its first Wildcat Scramble Aug. 12 at noon at the Silverado Golf and Country Club. The cost is $65 per golfer or $260 per team. Contact Brittany Castro at 813 714-4750 or coach John Castelamare at (813) 794-8761.
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars Holiday Post 10167 will sponsor a charity tournament at 1 p.m. on Sept. 30 at the Magnolia Valley Golf Club in New Port Richey with proceeds divided between the Coalition to Salute America's Heros and the Wounded Warrior Project. Registration begins at noon. Teams and individuals are welcome. A $46 donation per golfer includes greens fees, cart and a buffet dinner at VFW Holiday Post 10167. A cash prize of $1,000 will be awarded for first-, second- and third-place winners, closest to the pins, straight drive and putting contests. Contact Bob Farrell at (727) 481-3446.
- The Port Richey Rotary will hold it's first annual tournament Aug. 11 at the Beacon Woods Golf Club. The shotgun start will begin at 8 a.m. Registration will begin that day at 7 a.m. The cost is $50 and includes golf, food, beverages, cart and prizes. For more information or to register your foursome, call Joe Maceda at (727) 457-7762.
Sunlake High will host a mandatory meeting for all parents and athletes planning to participate in volleyball, swimming, cross country and golf this fall. The meeting is Friday at 6:30 p.m. in the school's media center. All participation forms will be discussed and participation fees will be collected.
- Gulf High will host tryouts for girls entering grades 9-12 this fall will run from 9-11 a.m. Aug. 6-10 at the school. All girls need physical and participation forms. Call Shari Schau at 774-3300.
- Hudson High will hold a camp Aug. 3-4 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. for players in grades 4-10. The cost is $50 and includes lunch. For more information, call Linda McQuade at (727) 774-4238.
Registration for the 2007 CPUSA recreational season will be held Sunday from 2-5 p.m. and Aug. 18 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Land O'Lakes Recreational Center in the gym. There are several leagues based on age.
- CPUSA will host a class for anyone interested in becoming soccer referees. You must be at least 13 and able to run unhindered up to 40 yards. Previous experience is helpful, but not required. The class begins Aug. 11 and will be held over two weekends. Contact Neil Frandsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (813) 469-6839.
All Mitchell High players can receive their lockers and helmets Friday at 9 a.m.-noon or 5-7 p.m. Players must turn in all paperwork and pay a $60 participation fee at this time. Varsity practice starts Monday at 8 am. Junior varsity practice starts begins Aug. 13 at 2 p.m. Call Scott Schmitz at (813) 749-8558.
- Hudson High will hold its first practice football Monday at 3 p.m., with junior varsity players scheduled to begin practice at 4 p.m. All paperwork and a $60 participation fee must be turned in at that time. Call (727) 774-4272.
- Sunlake will host a mandatory meeting for parents and athletes who want to play football today at 6:30 p.m. at the high school's media center to collect athletic participation forms, physicals and the athletic fee. All parents are welcome to attend. Practice starts Aug. 6.
Lane Glo North will host a Single Scratch Shootout at 10 a.m. Sunday. There is a shot at a $1,000 prize and the top five bowlers will advance to the shootout. Entry fee is $45.
Sunlake High will host an AACA clinic for cheerleader safety Aug. 9 at 1:30 p.m. All coaches are invited to attend. There is a $75 registration fee. You register at www.varsityspirit.com and to AACA clinics or contact Pennye Garcia at Sunlake High School.
The West Florida Young Guns are looking for players. The team is for children 13-and-under. Players cannot be 14 before May 1, 2008. This is an AAU team. Contact Jim at (727) 919-0410 or Chris at (727) 919-8954.
A junior tennis camp, the "Last Blast Before School Begins" is Aug. 13-17, 9-11:30 a.m. at the Zephyr Park courts. The camp is for ages 6-18. The fee is $30 (on first day of camp) or $25 for early signup before Aug. 11. Each participant should bring a racquet, small towel, cold water and tennis shoes. Tennis balls will be provided. Call Karl Hinkle at 782-5214 (days), 788-5638 (eve.) or 679-9728 (cell).