Published August 12, 2007
Hardback bestsellers for the week ended July 28, according to the New York Times.
1. A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini) A friendship between two women in Afghanistan amid 30 years of war.
2. The Secret Servant (Daniel Silva) Gabriel Allon, an art restorer and occasional spy for the Israeli secret service, searches for the kidnapped daughter of an American ambassador.
3. The Quickie (James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge) A police officer's attempt to get back at her husband, whom she suspects of cheating on her, goes dangerously awry.
4. High Noon (Nora Roberts) A hostage negotiator must face her unknown stalker.
5. The Tin Roof Blowdown (James LeeBurke) Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux copes with Katrina's aftermath.
1. Lone Survivor (Marcus Luttrell with Patrick Robinson) The only survivor of a Navy SEAL operation in northern Afghanistan describes the battle, his comrades and his escape.
2. Quiet Strength (Tony Dungy with Nathan Whitaker) A memoir by the first black coach to win a Super Bowl.
3. God Is Not Great (Christopher Hitchens) Religion as a malignant force in the world.
4. A Long Way Gone (Ishmael Beah) A former child soldier from Sierra Leone describes his ordeal and return to humanity.
5. Legacy of Ashes (Tim Weiner) A history of the CIA. A New York Times reporter focuses on its failures and its delusions of grandeur.
Advice, how-to and miscellaneous
1. The Secret (Rhonda Byrne) The law of attraction as a key to getting what you want.
2. The Dangerous Book for Boys (Conn Iggulden and Hal Iggulden) Skipping stones, tying knots and other essential activities.
3. You: On a Diet (Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz et al.) Weight-loss tips, from the authors of You: The Owner's Manual.
4. The Weight Loss Cure "They" Don't Want You to Know About (Kevin Trudeau) Diet advice on the role of hormones, supplements.
5. The 4-hour Workweek (Timothy Feriss) Restructuring your life so that it's not all about work.
[Last modified August 9, 2007, 15:09:39]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]