St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Letter to the editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Camera finds no sign of life in mine

Officials hold out hope as an area is found where the six missing miners might survive.

Published August 12, 2007


HUNTINGTON, Utah - A video camera lowered into a mine where six workers have been missing for more than five days shows "survivable space," a federal official said Saturday, but attempts to signal the miners were met by silence.

The camera found 5 1/2 feet of space in the cavity, and potable water on the floor - all signs that miners could survive in that area. "There is survivable space," said Richard Stickler, the federal official over the Mine Safety and Health Administration.

The nearly 9-inch-wide hole reached the void in the early morning darkness. Rescuers quickly shut down the drill rig and their compressors - anything that could drown out signs of life from down below - and rapped again and again on the drill steel in an attempt to contact the miners. Trapped miners, if they can hear the signal, are trained to respond in kind with tools or rocks.

These signals, however, were met with silence.

"It was heartbreaking," said mine geologist Mike Glasson, who was on the mountain at the time. "If they're alive and well and didn't respond ... perhaps they're injured. I don't know.

"We did not lose confidence in what we are doing up there, not one bit," he said.

The news further disheartened the miners' relatives, who have eagerly awaited each new development only to have their faith dashed when no word comes of the fate of their loved ones.

"I think with so much time passing we are losing hope," said Tomas Hernandez, uncle of miner Luis Hernandez, 23, although he said his nephew's wife was clinging to hers. "As a wife, she has to have hope."

The six miners were trapped when a portion of the Crandall Canyon Mine, about 140 miles south of Salt Lake City, collapsed early Monday morning.

On Saturday, the camera encountered trouble because 10 gallons of groundwater a minute were flowing down the hole into the vast space below, Stickler said. The water, not enough to affect any survivors below, blurred one of the camera's lenses.

The camera was withdrawn so a steel casing could be inserted in the well to protect the camera from the water. Getting the casing in and the camera back down was not expected to be completed until late Saturday night, Glasson said.

A smaller hole 2 1/2 inches wide that was drilled into the mine earlier was being used to pump oxygen into the void. Sampling of air in that hole had found oxygen levels too low for survival.

The two holes are 130 feet apart. The void is 1,868 feet below the drill rigs.

The men were more than 3 miles inside the mine at the time of the thunderous collapse Monday. Efforts to reach them through the horizontal main tunnels have been slowed by fallen rock and by ground movements that require extensive installation of roof and wall supports to keep rescuers safe.

Bob Murray, head of Murray Energy Corp., co-owner of the mine, said workers clearing away mounds of rubble had progressed 650 feet into a 2,000-foot tunnel that could lead to the men.

"The rescue effort itself, I am very disappointed at our pace," Murray said, asserting, however, that no mistakes had been made.

Information from the Los Angeles Times was used in this report.

[Last modified August 12, 2007, 01:48:29]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters