Schools plan is topic of three public meetings
By TIMES STAFF
Published August 14, 2007
Community meetings have been scheduled for discussion of the Pinellas County school district's draft student assignment plan for the 2008-09 school year. School administrators will explain the plan, answer questions and ask for comments and ideas from parents and community members. The School Board is to vote on the new student assignment plan Nov. 13. The meetings are scheduled from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on the following days and locations.
- Sept. 18 at Palm Harbor University High, 1900 Omaha St.
- Sept. 26 at Pinellas Park High, 6305 118th Ave. N, Largo.
- Sept. 27 at John Hopkins Middle, 701 16th St. S, St. Petersburg.
Renters should be hurricane-ready
If you rent, here are some steps you can take to prepare for a hurricane.
- Know your evacuation zone. You can locate your zone at www.pinellascounty,org/emergency or the evacuation zone map found within the official Surviving the Storm hurricane guide for Pinellas County. Utility bills also list your evacuation zone.
- Make sure you have flood insurance and renter's insurance. They could be invaluable policies to replace belongings should they be damaged. You should also take an inventory of your possessions to help with recovery.
- Ask questions of your landlord. Will your landlord take steps to protect the windows? If not, find another place to ride out the storm, even if you live in a non-evacuation zone. Just as homeowners do, you have a responsibility to create a personal hurricane plan.
Enjoy classic rock at free concert
A free, family-friendly outdoor concert in Largo Central Park is set for the last Saturday of the summer before school starts. Classic rock cover band Stone Gypsy will play songs ranging from Aerosmith to Alice Cooper to the Rolling Stones. Free onsite parking will be available. Bring blankets and lawn chairs. No pets, alcohol or personal coolers are permitted in the park. Concessions will be available. The show is scheduled for 8 to 10 p.m. Saturday at Largo Central Park, 101 Central Park Drive. Call 587-6775.
'Charlie Brown' plays all week
Laugh with the antics of the Peanuts gang in the West Coast Players' musical production of You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown now through Sunday at the Conmy Center, Our Lady of Lourdes Church, 750 San Salvador St. Performances are 8 p.m. weekdays and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets are $18 and $15. Call (727) 734-7100 or visit www.wcplayers.org.
Get blood pressure checked at library
Free blood pressure screenings will be offered from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Thursday at Tarpon Springs Public Library, 138 E Lemon St. The screenings are provided by Helen Ellis Home Care. Call (727) 943-4922.
[Last modified August 14, 2007, 07:25:48]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]