Small fire empties new elementary
By Times Staff
Published August 23, 2007
A small electrical fire in the kitchen prompted Double Branch Elementary School to evacuate the entire student body Wednesday morning.
The children remained outside just a few minutes before firefighters discovered the equipment malfunction and allowed everyone back inside.
Lunch had not yet started at the new school, so no students were in the cafeteria. No one was injured.
Grant gives boost to high-tech school
Pasco County's first steps into the world of career academies got a boost Wednesday when the district learned it has received a $155,000 grant for the initiative.
The district plans to open an information technology institute at Wiregrass Ranch High School in January.
Ink business to leave Tampa for Pasco
A company that specializes in making the ink used on industrial packaging is leaving Tampa for Pasco County, economic development officials said Wednesday.
Talon Industries, a 17-year-old company with nine employees, is expected to hire four more people after it moves into West Pasco Industrial Park on State Road 54 next month, said Bryan Kamm of the Pasco Economic Development Council.
Memorial for King again is in question
The city's on-again, off-again efforts to create a memorial honoring the late Martin Luther King Jr. have hit yet another snag.
Some city residents, including City Commission candidate Curtis Holmes, say the $60,000 earmarked for the project could be better used for sidewalks.
So in response, City Commissioner Andy Guyette Tuesday night suggested taking one more look at the proposal, which the city revived last month.
Commissioner Rodney Woods, the city's first black commissioner, said little during the meeting. But afterward Woods said the rationale raised by some critics was a thinly veiled excuse for racism.
Alzheimer's patient found after 3 days
Ernest Russo, the 87-year-old Alzheimer's patient who walked away from home Sunday afternoon, was found by his son about noon Wednesday in the woods south of State Road 54 and west of Little Road, authorities said.
A press release from the Pasco County Sheriff's Office described Russo's condition as "very poor due to exposure in the heat of the past few days." He was airlifted to an undisclosed hospital.
Russo was found less than a mile from home.