Man threatened girlfriend, then fled, police say

By Times Staff Writer
Published August 28, 2007


Police continued searching for a man Monday who they say threatened his ex-girlfriend in Tarpon Springs with a handgun Sunday morning and fled from officers. Arthur Jones III, 26, is being sought by Tarpon and Pasco County authorities. Jones may have been most recently living in New Port Richey, Tarpon Springs police say. Jones left his ex-girlfriend's home on Keystone Road in a black sport utility vehicle as officers arrived. Police say he tried to hit an officer in a squad car and then swerved at another officer who had ordered him to halt. As it headed east on Keystone Drive, the SUV inexplicably caught fire. The driver leapt out as it crashed into an embankment, then ran away. Police dogs tracked him to the edge of a lake north of Keystone and east of Highland Avenue, but he was not found. Police said Jones is considered armed and dangerous. They urge anyone who sees him to go to a safe place and call 911.


Carjacking suspect chased, arrested

The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says a St. Petersburg man was arrested Monday after he stole a Frito-Lay delivery truck near Largo and led deputies on a 20-minute slow-speed chase. The incident began about 11 a.m. when Tommie Lee Poole, 38, of 743 35th Ave. S snatched the truck from the parking lot of a 7-Eleven at 11505 Walsingham Road, officials said. Inside the truck, Andrea Wagner, 24, of Largo was preparing to carry boxes into the store when Poole started the truck and suddenly drove off, causing her to fall out the back and suffer minor injuries, officials said. Deputies tried to pull the truck over as it headed south on Gulf Boulevard at 50 mph. In North Redington Beach, officials said, Poole sideswiped a car, then turned and headed north. After deputies used stop-sticks to puncture the truck's tires, the truck ran into an unoccupied county utilities truck in Indian Shores. No one was hurt. Poole was booked into the Pinellas County Jail on charges of carjacking, aggravated fleeing and eluding, and leaving the scene of a crash. His bail is set at $110,500.