Crime journal

By Times Staff Writer
Published October 18, 2007


Man guilty of murder outside ybor nightclub

Keisha Heath was in bed sleeping early May 20 when a stranger shot her boyfriend after a fight outside the Empire Nightclub in Ybor City. On Wednesday, minutes after a jury found the shooter guilty of first-degree murder, 29-year-old Heath begged a courtroom full of people to "wake up." "We got to stop letting our anger take over and being impulsive," she said. "We gotta wake up. Our lives are worth so much more." The message came too late for Onassis George. Hillsborough Circuit Judge Barbara Fleischer sentenced him to a mandatory life prison sentence with no chance of parole for killing Howard "Skip" Williams, 28. Williams died four days after the shooting. A friend said Wednesday that Williams' May 20 visit to Empire was only his second.

Deputies chase car involved in gunfire

Hillsborough sheriff's deputies were questioning three people Wednesday after a chase ended in a strawberry field. It all started at 1:38 p.m., when deputies got calls about gunshots fired near the Homewood Suites Hotel at Adamo Drive and Interstate 75, said sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter. Two vehicles, a black Mustang and a gray car, were involved. Someone in one car shot at another car, shattering a back window, she said. Deputies followed the shooter's vehicle, giving chase by land and helicopter until the vehicle drove into a strawberry field at 5711 U.S. 92 at 1:56 p.m., she said. No one was injured. Investigators found two guns inside the car. The car's three passengers were questioned by detectives, but no victims had come forward by Wednesday evening, Carter said.


Woman hit by SUV dies; girl in hospital

A woman hit by an SUV while wheeling a 3-year-old girl in a stroller Friday died Monday in a St. Petersburg hospital. Denise Young, 44, had been pushing the stroller across Hicks Road near Dan Street about 8:50 p.m. when she was struck by an SUV driven by 39-year-old Sandra Fox of Hudson, according to officials. Young and the toddler were flown to St. Petersburg hospitals. Young died Monday at Bayfront Medical Center, Florida Highway Patrol spokesman Larry Coggins said. The 3-year-old girl is in serious condition at All Children's Hospital. Fox was not injured. No charges have been filed.

Barber helps nab robbery suspect

A barber who saw a man's distinctive tattoos and suspected he might have robbed a pharmacy last week helped police arrest the suspect Tuesday. According to a report from the New Port Richey police, around 1:20 p.m. Oct. 11, a masked gunman entered the Pasco Pharmacy, 5445 James St., and demanded money from an employee, who gave him $639.62 and 1,700 tablets of oxycodone. Based on a description of the man's tattoos, a vice detective identified the robber as Anthony Boughter. Hector DeJesus, a barber at Infamous Styles across the street, followed the suspect and got the tag number on his vehicle. He also spotted a red tattoo on the suspect's right arm. Police said they ran Boughter's criminal record and confirmed his identity through the tattoos. Tuesday, police arrested Boughter, 24, at his home. He is being held in lieu of $350,300 bail in the Land O'Lakes jail.