Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By Times Staff Writer
Published October 19, 2007
The following Halloween events are planned:
- Haunted Trail on Golddust, 7:30 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and Oct. 26 and 27, and 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 31, 5277 Golddust Road, Spring Hill. Visitors can take a guided tour along a wooded trail. Goodies will be given out. The cost is $3, which will benefit the Humane Society of the Nature Coast and Hernando-Pasco Hospice. Take Barclay Avenue, turn west on Highgrove Road and left onto Golddust. Call 263-8044.
- Hernando County Firefighters' Haunted House, 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 26, 27 and 31, Hernando County Fire Rescue Station 11, 6388 Barclay Ave., Spring Hill. Visitors are encouraged to wear their costumes. Admission is $3 per person.
- Hernando Heritage Museum's annual Haunted House, 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 26 and 27, 601 Museum Court, off Saxon Avenue, Brooksville. Admission is $4 for all ages. There will be a bonfire with a marshmallow roast and storytelling for the children. Tours of the house will be provided but are not recommended for children younger than 8. Call 799-0129.
- Hernando Beach Club Halloween Dinner Dance, 5 p.m. Oct. 26, 3145 Flamingo Blvd., Hernando Beach. Entertainment provided by the Starburst Duo. The dinner entree will be chicken parmigiana, and dessert is included. There will be door prizes and a parade of costumes with prizes. Tickets are $11 for members and $13 for nonmembers. Call Bunni, 688-4976.
- Arc Nature Coast Halloween Dance, 7 to 10 p.m. Oct. 26, West Hernando Middle School, 14325 Ken Austin Parkway, Brooksville. The event will include a DJ, door prizes and food. Admission will be $2. Those attending are encouraged to wear costumes. Call Lena at 232-5727.
- Hernando County Parks and Recreation Department's Halloween Harvest Festival, 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 25 and 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 26, Hernando County Fairgrounds, 6436 S Broad St., Brooksville. There will be games, hay rides and a haunted house. Contests include the pet masquerade at 7 p.m. Oct. 26, with registration at 6:30 p.m.; a costume contest for all ages at 8 p.m. Oct. 26, with registration at 7:30 p.m.; and pumpkin-carving contests both days, with registration at 6 p.m. (precarved pumpkins only). All carved pumpkins can be reclaimed at 10 p.m. Oct. 26. Admission is free. Game tickets will be four for $1; the haunted house will be $2 and hay rides $1. Food will be available for purchase. Call 754-4031.
- Spring Hill Cruisers and Hardee's Restaurant's 20th anniversary Halloween Classic Car Show, 3 to 9:30 p.m. Oct. 27, 6292 Commercial Way, Weeki Wachee. The show is open to all makes of cars, trucks and motorcycles 1990 and older. Registration is $10 and will be taken from 3 to 6 p.m. at the event. Awards to the top 85 and 15 "best of" winners. Dash plaques will be given to the first 100 entries. There will also be awards for club participation (10-car minimum) and the best Halloween-themed cars. There is a costume contest for adults and children (cash prizes for adults, trophies for children), a raffle, games and entertainment. Free admission; participating in the car show is not required to attend and participate in contests. Call Norma or Bill at 596-0729.
- Fall Pumpkin Fest at United Methodist Church, 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 27, 9344 Spring Hill Drive, Spring Hill. The event is for children through the fifth grade and their families, friends and neighbors. There will be games, crafts, food prizes and an inflatable fun house. Costumes are welcome (not too scary, please). Call 683-2600.
- Ridge Manor United Methodist Church Fall Festival, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 27, 34350 Cortez Blvd., Ridge Manor. There will be storytelling, a bounce house and hay rides for kids of all ages. Trunk or Treat, 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. Children will be able to trick-or-treat among a lineup of decorated trucks and car trunks loaded with goodies. The annual pumpkin patch is open daily through Oct. 31 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Saturdays and noon to 6 p.m. Sundays. Call the church office at 583-3770.
- Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8713 Halloween party, 6 p.m. Oct. 27, 1686 E Jefferson St., Brooksville. The event will include finger foods, karaoke with Jeanie and Bob and prizes. Those who dress in costumes will receive drink discounts. Call 796-4449.
- Candy Grab at Christian Church in the Wildwood, 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31, 10051 Country Road, Weeki Wachee. There will be a bounce house, popcorn and many opportunities to win free candy. Children must be accompanied by an adult. Costumes are welcome. Call 596-1388, exts. 806, 805 or 804.
- Grace World Outreach Church's Harvest Fest 2007, 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 31, 20366 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. The free event will include candy, games and activities. Inflatable games include pedestal joust, bouncy boxing and an obstacle course, as well as rock climbing, bungee jump and more. All games and activities are free. Call 796-3685.
- St. Andrew's Episcopal Church's "Heros Unmasked," 6 p.m. Oct. 31, 2301 Deltona Blvd., Spring Hill. There will be games, face painting and prizes. Children are encouraged to wear their costumes. Call Jody Bowes, 683-2010.
- Trunk or Treat at Christ Lutheran Church, 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31, 475 North Ave. W, Brooksville. There will be hay rides, moon walk, games, food, candy and prizes. Call 796-8331.
- Costume contest at Jerome Brown Community Center, 4 to 6 p.m. Oct. 31, 99 Jerome Brown Place, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. For details, call 544-5498.
- Aripeka Elks "Spooktacular" Halloween Costume Party, 6 p.m. Oct. 31, 9135 Denton Ave., Hudson. Admission is free. Food and beverages will be available for purchase. There will be games and prizes. Music provided by The Twist. Call (727) 863-2520.