St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Letter to the editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message

Man jailed - 2 months after dodging police

By JONATHAN ABEL, Times Staff Writer
Published October 25, 2007


TARPON SPRINGS - A man accused of threatening his former girlfriend with a gun and trying to run over two police officers is in the Pinellas County Jail after two months of running from police, officials say.

On Aug. 26, according to police, Arthur Jones III showed up at his former girlfriend's house after an argument and pointed a gun at her.

The ex-girlfriend's cousin and another friend tried to step in, but Jones threatened them, too.

Jones, 26, of Live Oak drove away in a black sport utility vehicle as police arrived at the house. That's when he tried to hit the two officers, police said.

During Jones' escape, his Isuzu inexplicably caught fire. He jumped from the SUV as it hit an embankment, and ran away, police said.

Two police dogs and a helicopter tried to track Jones but were unsuccessful.

Jones was found Sunday in Suwannee County, where he is believed to have family.

He was being held Wednesday at the Pinellas County Jail in lieu of $620,000 bail. He faces charges of kidnapping, armed burglary, possession of cocaine, felony fleeing and eluding, three counts of aggravated assault and one count of aggravated assault on an officer.

[Last modified October 24, 2007, 21:32:04]

Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters