Crime journal

By Times Staff Writer
Published October 31, 2007


Boy is slugged trying to end adults' fight

For his efforts to disrupt a fight between two adults, a 13-year-old boy was punched twice in the left eye and briefly knocked out late Monday, according to a Hillsborough Sheriff's Office report. Deputies arrested Antonio "Tony" Fassel D'Eair Lowe, 27, in connection with the incident, which took place about 9:15 p.m. inside an apartment near the University of South Florida campus. Jail records show the 6-foot, 285-pound Lowe was charged with felony child abuse.


Man gets life term for woman's death

Cortez Davis, the St. Petersburg man who was recently convicted of murdering a woman by jabbing a beer bottle in her head, was sentenced Monday to life in prison by Judge R. Timothy Peters. Davis also pleaded guilty to two charges related to battery Monday and received three-year sentences for each. Davis, 22, was arrested last year and accused of killing Debra Williams, 38, after an argument. He was convicted of second-degree murder by a jury in September.


Man, 24, accused of snatching purse

Deputies arrested a 24-year-old Dunedin man who they said snatched the purse of an 89-year-old woman Tuesday. Robert B. Patrick came up behind the victim about 11:30 a.m. at Admiral Road and Patricia Avenue and grabbed her handbag, according to Pinellas County sheriff's officials. A passer-by who called 911 told deputies he saw Patrick acting suspiciously before the purse-snatching and later saw him running east on Admiral Road. Deputies found the purse, emptied of its cash, in a nearby trash can. They tracked Patrick to his home at 1076 Admiral Road, where they took him into custody. Patrick directed deputies to a drawer where he said he hid the victim's money, officials said. The woman was not hurt. Patrick was being booked into the Pinellas County Jail on Tuesday on a felony charge of robbery by sudden snatching.


High schools report fund discrepancies

About $20,000 collected from athletic events at Pasco High School over the last two years appears to be missing, and district officials have asked the Dade City Police Department to investigate. "We gathered all the information we could. Then that information was submitted" to the police, assistant superintendent Olga Swinson said Tuesday. "They will determine whether they are going to continue with pressing charges and so forth." The Land O'Lakes High case, which involved about $20,000 as well, was turned over to the Sheriff's Office in September. Detectives discovered that $929 was missing, and another $18,968 was not deposited appropriately but later was found. The school's bookkeeper resigned after being placed on administrative leave. But detectives did not find any evidence to file charges, sheriff's spokesman Doug Tobin said.