Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Parade spawns holiday festivities
By Times Staff Writer
Published December 8, 2007
The 33rd annual Kiwanis Christmas Parade starts at 10 a.m. Detours around the core of downtown will begin about 9:30 a.m. Message boards will be set up around the city to provide detour information.
Parade viewers are urged to get to their chosen seating area early. Parking is available behind the courthouse and behind Brooksville City Hall in addition to on-street parking around the area. The SunTrust lot is also available.
The parade will run from Oakwood Drive to Howell Avenue and Main Street, turn left onto Broad Street and end at Bell Avenue.
The following events in downtown Brooksville will be held today in conjunction with the parade:
- Stars of Christmas Arts and Crafts Festival, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., in front of the old courthouse at the Hernando County Government Center, 20 N Main St. There will be about 30 arts and crafts vendors and food vendors. The festival is sponsored by the Brooksville Business Alliance.
- Quilt Show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., at Hernando County Recreation, 205 E Fort Dade Ave. Call 754-4043.
- City Hall Art Gallery will be open from noon to 3 p.m. at City Hall, 201 Howell Ave.
- Christmas Festival at First Baptist Church, noon to 2 p.m., 420 Howell Ave. There will be music by recording artists Tim Serdynski, a reading of the Christmas story and a live nativity, skill games for kids, inflatable activities, a craft table, face painting, balloon animals, a visit from Santa and free door prizes.
- Holiday Bandshell Bash, 4 to 8 p.m., Hernando Park, 205 E Fort Dade Ave. The event will include a visit from Santa, food and beverage vendors, and the lighting of Hernando-Pasco Hospice's Tree of Life at 6:45 p.m.; Hospice will provide free popcorn. Music will be provided by the Hernando Youth Orchestra, followed with performances by the Brooksville Academy of Dance, St. Anthony's Bell Choir, First Baptist Church of Brooksville Chorus and a group sing-along. There will also be the Brooksville Cruise-In. Admission is free.
- Heritage Museum's Christmas Tour of Yesteryear, 7 to 9 p.m., Hernando Heritage Museum, 601 Museum Court, off Saxon Avenue. The cost of the tour is $5 for adults and $2 for children ages 6-12; there is no charge for children younger than 6. For information, call 799-0129 or visit the Web site at www.hernandoheritagemuseum.com.