Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Land O'Lakes, 2818 Collier Parkway. (813) 929-1214.
- Homework Help Center, 3-8 p.m. Tuesdays and Wednesdays through Feb. 29.
- Afterhours Yule party, 6-9 p.m. Friday. For teens.
- Anime Film Fest, 1-4 p.m. Jan. 4. For teens.
New River, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills. (813) 788-6375.
- Teen Movie Night, 6:30-9 p.m. Thursday.
- Karaoke/Family Game Night, 6-9 p.m. Jan. 4.
- The Pasco County of the Compassionate Friends, a support group for those grieving the loss of a child, will hold their monthly meeting at 7:30 p.m. today at Community Hospital, Conference Room C, 5637 Marine Parkway, New Port Richey. For information, call (813) 273-8721.
- To enhance education programs, schools throughout the county collect Box Tops for Education, Campbell's Labels for Education and Tyson A+ labels. Schools redeem these items for school supplies. Those who want to contribute, should send those items - labels, UPC symbols, etc., in with their child, or contact the school of their choice to make arrangements to drop or send those items in.
- Matt Menendez, a sixth-grade student at Pine View Middle School, won the school level competition of the National Geography Bee on Dec. 10. The school level bee is the first round in the annual National Geographic Bee. Matt will go on to take a written test for the state level competition. State champions travel to Washington, D.C., for the National Championships held May 20-21. Finalists in the Pine View Middle competition were: Jasmine Banek, Brevin Baxter, Tyler Stahl, Bia Jaime, Morgan Maloney and Grace Carapezza. Those wanting to brush up on their geography skills can go to www.nationalgeographic.com/geobee.
- National PTA has awarded the Pine View Elementary School PTA of Land O'Lakes $500 in recognition for its annual Family Skate Night Program. The Pine View Elementary PTA is one of only 40 PTAs nationwide to receive the award for its PTA Healthy Lifestyles Program. The activities are innovative, inclusive and promote family involvement at schools. Pine View PTA was the only group recognized in Florida.
The deadline for timely submissions is one week before publication. Send your school news to Michele Miller by fax to (727) 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes or (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL 34668. Call Michele Miller at (727) 869-6251 or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.
- Dec. 31 is the deadline for schools to enter the national level "Fuel Your Imagination" creative writing contest. Students should write a short creative story, maximum of 250 words, on how eating a healthy breakfast will help them be their best and achieve their dreams. The three stories judged to be the best will be professionally illustrated and displayed on the official Fuel Your Imagination Web site. For information about the local and national level contests or to download entry forms, www.schoolbreakfast.org.
- The Pasco Education Foundation Inc. is accepting online applications for its Scholarship Opportunities for Graduating Seniors from Pasco County Public Schools now through 11:59 p.m. Jan. 31. Seniors are encouraged to complete an online application during the open application period by visiting www.pascoeducationfoundation.org.
Last year, more than 800 students submitted online applications to compete for more than 58 scholarship opportunities. This year, the foundation anticipates providing more than $70,000 in scholarship awards.