Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
New Year's Eve celebrations
By Times Staff Writer
Published December 20, 2007
Tickets are now available for the following New Year's Eve celebrations around the county:
- Tangerine Time, 9 p.m. to midnight, Jerome Brown Community Center in Tom Varn Park, 99 Jerome Brown Way, off Darby Lane, Brooksville. This is a free family event with games, prizes, food, live entertainment and free T-shirts to the first 500 people who attend. All those attending are asked to bring a donation of nonperishable food, which will be given to the Salvation Army. Call Wayne Vutech, 799-7420, or Karen Phillips, 544-5407.
- VFW Post 8713 and Ladies Auxiliary New Year's Eve Party, 7 p.m., at the post, 1686 E Jefferson St., Brooksville. There will be finger foods and karaoke. Call the post at 796-4449.
- Hernando Beach Yacht Club's New Year's Eve 2007, 4163 Shoal Line Blvd., Hernando Beach. Doors open at 6 p.m. Appetizers will be served starting at 6:30 p.m. Dinner will be filet mignon and lobster. There will be dancing, an Elvis show and a champagne toast at midnight. Tickets are $50 each; party favors are included. Call Karen at 592-0037.
- Latin American Civic and Cultural Association's New Year's Eve Gala Dance, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m., SNPJ Hall, 13383 County Line Road, Spring Hill. Music provided by DJ Jose Perez. The champagne toast and noisemakers will be provided. Advance tickets are $15 for members and $20 for nonmembers; the cost at the door is an additional $5 per person. Only tables paid in advance will be reserved. For information and tickets, call Ana Burgos, 688-0763, or Elsa Serrano, 688-5890.
- VFW Post 10209 New Year's Eve Bash, 14736 Edward R. Noll Drive, off Anderson Snow Road, Spring Hill. Tickets are $37.50 each ($75 per couple) and include a roast beef or chicken dinner, an open bar from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., champagne toast, music by All Star Entertainment, hats and noisemakers and a continental breakfast from 1 to 2 a.m. Reservations required for parties of eight or more. Call 796-0398.
- Brooksville Elks Lodge 2582 New Years Eve Party, 14494 Cortez Blvd., Brooksville. Hors d'oeuvres will be served from 6 to 7 p.m. with an open bar from 6 p.m. until closing. Dinner choice is prime rib or Italian chicken with twice-baked potato, sugar snap peas, hot rolls, and ice cream with cherries jubilee. There will be a champagne toast at midnight with coffee and rolls after. This is a semiformal event; jackets required. Music for dancing will be provided by Vic Thompkins and his band. Tickets are $40 per person. Reservations and payment required by Dec. 22. Call Bill Woods at 797-9069.
- The Hernando Beach Club New Year's Eve Dinner Dance, 6 p.m., 3145 Flamingo Blvd., Hernando Beach. Entertainment will start at 9 p.m. The cost is $60 per person, which includes an open bar all night (well drinks, beer, wine and soda), a prime rib dinner, dessert, champagne toast at midnight, followed by danish pastries, coffee and orange juice. Entertainment will be provided by Vintage. Tickets are limited. Call Bunni at 688-4976.
- Aripeka Elks Lodge 2520 Gala New Year's Party, 9135 Denton Ave., Hudson. Doors will open at 7 p.m., a prime rib dinner served at 8 and breakfast at 1 a.m. Beverages, hats and noisemakers provided. Music will be provided by Marty and the Nice Guys. Tickets are $50 each, all seats reserved. Call (727) 868-1994 between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays.