Grounded birds let crane crew take a break
By the Times staff
Published December 20, 2007
CHASSAHOWITZKA -- For the first time since it annually began leading whooping cranes from Wisconsin to Central Florida in 2001, Operation Migration is taking a break for the holidays. The 17 young birds have been grounded by bad weather since Dec. 6 on the wrong side of the Cumberland Gap. Knowing that the next few days don't promise much of a change, most of the team will go home to celebrate the holidays. They will return Dec. 29 to try to entice the birds into the air behind the ultralight aircraft and onward to the Chassahowitzka National Wildlife Refuge. A small crew will stay with the birds until the rest of the team returns.
Deadline for code review comments
Those wishing to submit comments for Hernando County Development Services' next code compliance review must do so by Friday. The review will be at 9 a.m. Jan. 3 at Hernando County Engineering Department, 1525 E Jefferson St. On the agenda: Evergreen Woods, Golden Corral (Weeki Wachee), Racetrac parking lot addition (east of Brooksville), Klicos Center on Edward Noll Drive, Northstar Warehouse Complex on Edward Noll Drive, Nature Coast Commons outparcel A off U.S. 19, Timber Pines Senior Living Community Expansion Phase II. For information, call the Hernando County Building Department at 754-4165.
Big baby shower registration open
Exhibitors can register for the 11th annual World's Greatest Baby Shower on Feb. 9 at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church, 13485 Spring Hill Drive. For information, call Christine Dyal at Childhood Development Services, 754-5068, ext. 211.
- Hernando County Development Services, code compliance review, 9 a.m., Hernando County Engineering Department, 1525 E Jefferson St., Brooksville.
- Brooksville Housing Authority, 6 p.m., Recreation Hall, 800 Continental Drive, Brooksville.
- Hernando High drama students' production of Mr. Scrooge Finds Christmas: 7 p.m., Hernando High School Performing Arts Center, 700 Bell Ave., Brooksville. Tickets are $3. Maritza James, 797-7015, ext. 204.
- Springstead High Marching Eagle Brigade's Christmas concert: 7:30 p.m., Springstead Theatre, 3300 Mariner Blvd., Spring Hill. Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for students. Richard Dasher, 797-7010.
- Providence to perform at Fire Escape Christmas party: 6:30 p.m., First Baptist Church of Brooksville, 420 Howell Ave. Free. 796-6791.