Crime journal

By Times Staff Writer
Published January 9, 2008


Man accused of duping women pleads guilty

Jordan Gann, who police say posed as a wealthy physician and real estate investor to scam single women across the country, pleaded guilty Tuesday to grand theft. He is accused of stealing $750 from a Largo biochemist at a Tampa mall. It's a charge that could bring up to five years in prison when Gann, 27, is sentenced March 7. Prosecutors didn't offer a plea deal, so the severity of Gann's punishment is up to Hillsborough Circuit Judge Robert Foster. Tampa police arrested Gann in October, saying he convinced a woman that he was a doctor who could help her pay off her student loans.


Hit-and-run driver injures student

A 17-year-old Plant City High School student was hospitalized Tuesday after a sedan hit him and sped off while the teen was walking to a waiting school bus, Hillsborough County sheriff's officials said. Joshua Cabbage, 17, suffered multiple leg fractures and was taken to Tampa General Hospital, authorities said. Anyone with information about the vehicle is asked to call the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office at (813) 247-8200 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-873-8477.


Ex-band director pleads guilty

Former Pasco Middle School band director Michael Aaron Black pleaded guilty on Monday to three counts of lewd and lascivious battery, for having sex with a former student multiple times before his arrest in 2006. Black, 28, left his punishment up to Circuit Judge Pat Siracusa, who will decide his fate at the March 11 sentencing.


Man drowns near Walter Fuller Park

A 34-year-old man drowned in a lake near Walter Fuller dog park on Tuesday afternoon in what police are calling a possible suicide. Bret Cala was walking with his mother and a dog when he told her he wanted to go swimming with the dog, police said. Cala's mother tried to talk him out of the idea and took the dog. But Cala dove into the water near 7891 26th Ave. N, police said. When he didn't surface, his mother called authorities. Cala was in cardiac arrest when he was pulled from the water, and pronounced dead at St. Petersburg General Hospital.