Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By Times Staff Writer
Published January 16, 2008
- Dr. Martin Luther King Day is Monday. No school for students and teachers.
- Jan. 31: Adult Education graduation.
Centennial Middle: Fall and Winter Athletic Awards Night, 6:30 p.m. Thursday.
Pasco Middle: Science Fair, today through Friday.
St. Anthony Catholic: Grades close for the second quarter today.
Sanders Elementary: Student of the Month recognition, 2:15 p.m. Friday.
Sand Pine Elementary: FBI Internet Safety Night, 7 p.m. Thursday.
Stewart Middle: Advisory Council meeting, 2:30 p.m. today.
Weightman Middle: Honor Roll Ceremony, 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Wesley Chapel High: Parents Information Night, 6:30 p.m. today.
Wesley Chapel Center for the Arts, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. 813 794-8772 or (727) 774-8772.
- Zephyrhills High School Choral Concert, 7 p.m. Friday.
- All County Band Concert, 4 p.m. Jan. 26.
- The Omaha Theater Company presents Old Yeller at 10:30 a.m. and noon, Jan. 31. For grades 3-5. Tickets are $4.
Land O'Lakes Branch Library, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes. (813) 929-1214.
- Homework Help Center, 3 to 8 p.m. each Tuesday and Wednesday. For elementary ages.
New River Branch Library, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills. (813) 788-6375.
- Teen Gaming Night, 6 to 10 p.m. Friday.
- Craft Corner, 2 p.m. Saturday.
- The Pasco Chapter of Compassionate Friends, a support group for those grieving the loss of a child, will be held at 7:30 p.m. today at Community Hospital, conference room C, 5637 Marine Parkway, New Port Richey. For information, call (813) 273-8721.
- Kids' Stuff, 21360 Land O'Lakes Blvd., Land O'Lakes, will host an informational meeting at 7 p.m. Thursday for families interested in private kindergarten for the 2008-2009 school year. Child care is available. For information, call Cathy Peckett at (813) 949-2237.
- Active Parenting Now is a six-week workshop for parents, grandparents, guardians, child care providers and teachers who need help in getting kids to cooperate and be responsible. Classes are 6 to 8 p.m. each Thursday from Jan. 17 to Feb. 21 at West Zephyrhills Elementary, 37900 14th Ave., Zephyrhills. Classes are free, but a book must be purchased for $5. Child care is available. For information, call Shannon Hill at (813) 794-2630 or (352) 524-2630.
- St. Anthony School is encouraging students, faculty members and community members to "Save the Earth" by joining their recycling efforts. The school recently acquired a paper recycling bin to add to the plastic, glass and aluminum recycling bin already on campus. Instead of throwing away recyclable items from your home or business, bring them to St. Anthony School, 32902 Massachusetts Ave., San Antonio. Paper must be flat, mostly black and white or light-colored paper. No cardboard, food products, bright colors, telephone books, plastic-coated or window envelopes or stapled materials. Plastic bottles must have the caps removed and have recycle symbol with the number 1 or 2 inside. Glass can be any color. All plastic, glass and aluminum should be rinsed and free of food.
- Pasco Middle School's FFA won parliamentary procedure at a sub-district contest and a second place in public speaking. Members are scheduled to compete in the district contest this month. Members are: Mollie Ellis, Emily Jamison, Rachel Ellis, Dakota Connoley, Brianna Blomeley and Matthew Ellis.
The deadline for timely submissions is one week before publication. Send your school news in writing to Michele Miller by fax at (727) 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes or (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or send mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL, 34668. Call Michele Miller at (727) 869-6251 or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.