Court suspends license of lawyer

By Times Staff Writer
Published January 16, 2008


Embattled lawyer Jessica Miller is no longer a lawyer. The Florida Supreme Court on Tuesday suspended the Port Richey lawyer's license to practice law.

The Florida Bar asked the high court to suspend Miller because $22,155.99 in client money disappeared from her trust accounts. That also sparked a criminal investigation of her firm by the Pinellas-Pasco State Attorney's Office.

Last month the 6th Circuit's chief judge stripped Miller of her clients. Another judge issued a warrant for her arrest for contempt of court because she disobeyed his orders and skipped a court hearing to go on vacation.

Miller, 29, turned herself into the county jail on Dec. 28 and was released on bail.

Her attorney told a judge this month that the money was stolen but not by his client. To get her license back, Miller must submit to Bar disciplinary proceedings. But if she does nothing, Miller faces disbarment.


Insurance activist files to run for commission

An insurance activist filed papers Monday to challenge county Commissioner Ann Hildebrand in the Republican primary this year.

Wilbert "Wil" Nickerson, 62, of Holiday is a member of the insurance reform group, Having Affordable Coverage.

Nickerson couldn't be reached Tuesday for comment, but he has been a prolific letter writer and public speaker on insurance issues, calling on county commissioners and state legislators to fix runaway living costs.

"Those who can afford to pay the high premiums cannot feel the plight of the less fortunate who are on fixed incomes, low wages or just having a hard time making ends meet," he wrote in a letter to the Pasco Times in September. Nickerson is also a real estate broker and classic car enthusiast.


Deputies investigate shooting of 16-year-old

Pasco authorities are investigating how a 16-year-old boy was shot in the stomach on Tuesday by a neighbor, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.

About 5:30 p.m., deputies responded to a call in the area of 10653 Bounty St.

The boy, whose name was not released, was flown to a local hospital.

On Tuesday evening, the extent of his injuries was unknown. Deputies were at the scene trying to figure out if the shooting was intentional or accidental, and determine what type of gun the boy was shot with.