Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By Times Staff Writer
Published January 17, 2008
BROOKSVILLE/West Hernando Middle
Parents get involved at Reading Rally
West Hernando Middle School recently held a Reading Rally for parents. The evening event consisted of three sessions. The first, FCAT Explorer, was developed to show parents how to get on the FCAT Explorer site. Students have passwords to go online and find sample FCAT reading questions to help them prepare for the important test. A second session was Books Your Kids Will Love. It was held in the school library to advise parents on book selection for optimal reading performance. The third session was Words to the Wise. Parents played vocabulary games and learned strategies to help children master key words for language arts, science and test taking.
SPRING HILL/Wider Horizons School
Private school celebrates 25 years
Wider Horizons School is celebrating 25 years in Hernando County. The school opened in 1983. It has a strong Montessori tradition in the elementary grades.Wider Horizons School is accredited by NIPSA (National Independent Private School Association). Dr. Domenick Maglio, owner and director of Wider Horizons School, has been a member of the board of trustees of the organization for the past 15 years. Wider Horizons School is also a member of Montessori Educators of Florida. Last year, Wider Horizons School celebrated the centenary of the Montessori movement. It has been 101 years since Dr. Maria Montessori opened the first Casa dei Bambini in San Lorenzo, Italy. Wider Horizons School, at 4060 Castle Ave. in Spring Hill, is a private college preparatory school that educates students from prekindergarten through 12th grade.
Fox Chapel Middle School
- Stingray Team "Show What You Know Night" 6 p.m. Jan. 24 in the Tiger Cafe.
- All Pro Dads Breakfast from 7 to 7:30 a.m. Jan. 25 in the Media Center. Dads and children share breakfast and conversation.
Moton Elementary School
- Third grade awards assembly at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 1 in the cafeteria.
- First grade awards assembly at 9:30 a.m. and second grade awards assembly at 2 p.m. Feb. 4 in the cafeteria.
- Fourth grade awards assembly at 9:30 a.m. and fifth grade awards assembly at 2 p.m. Feb. 6 in the cafeteria.
- Skate Night 6:30-8:30 p.m. Feb. 7 at Rainbow Rollerland.
- SAC/Title I Meeting 5:45 p.m. Feb. 19 in the Media Center.
- Eckerd Youth Hi-5 Family Night 5:30-7:30 p.m. Feb. 28 in the cafeteria.
West Hernando Middle School
- School Advisory Council, Title I & PTSA meeting 6 p.m. Jan. 28 in the Media Center. All students and parents are invited to attend.
Westside Elementary School
- Edible Math Night from 6:30-8 p.m. Jan. 29. Families will be able to participate in several kindergarten through fourth-grade activities. To register or for information, call Mrs. Wharton at 797-7080 in the Westside Elementary Family Center.