Crime Journal

By Times Staff Writer
Published January 19, 2008


Once-timid bank robber grows bolder

Last week, he was too nervous to do much more than approach a teller and say he'd forgotten his ID. But since then, the city's latest bank robber has robbed three banks. His latest target: the Bank of America at 6201 Central Ave., which he robbed at 11:30 a.m. Thursday by approaching a teller and demanding large bills. The previous Friday, the same robber hit the Cornerstone Bank at 6600 Central Ave. Police say the same robber hit two other banks on Jan. 7 but got so nervous at one of the banks that he said he had forgotten his ID and scurried out when he finally approached a teller. But an hour later, he robbed the other bank. Police are searching for a slender man in his 40s with a black ball cap and collar-length brown hair who coughs a lot. Anyone with information should call (727) 893-7179.


Charges dropped against ex-sheriff

Jim Gillum, Pasco's onetime top law officer who was arrested last spring, is no longer under suspicion of a crime. Prosecutors this week dropped misdemeanor charges against the former sheriff for writing a bad check for $1,200 to his landlord in 2006. Gillum, 64, was sheriff of Pasco County from 1984 to 1992.


Three arrested in raid of brothel

Police Thursday raided what they said was an active brothel, in a tan apartment at 314 Gunn Ave. Police charged Luis E. Figueredo, 60, with deriving revenue from prostitution. He was being held at the Pinellas County Jail without bail Friday because of an immigration hold. Also arrested were Concepcion Vicentemorales, 36, of Lehigh Acres, who is being held without bail on an immigration hold, and Paulina V. DeMarolejo, 50, of Plant City, who was released Friday.


Teens find body burned in pickup

Two teenagers found a charred pickup with a badly burned body in the bed about 6 p.m. Friday, according to the Pasco County Sheriff's Office. The body was found near Coronado Way and Lake Drive in the Moon Lake neighborhood, popular with off-road vehicles. It apparently had been there for several days, the Sheriff's Office said. The teens were hiking on a trail in woods when they happened upon the truck. Deputies secured the scene for the night and planned to continue the suspicious death investigation this morning.