Last mission to repair the Hubble telescope Hubble space telescope discoveries have enriched our understanding of the cosmos. In this special report, you will see facts about the Hubble space telescope, discoveries it has made and what the last mission's goals are.
For their own good
Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
By MICHELE MILLER, Times Staff Writer
Published January 23, 2008
Centennial Middle: Yearbooks will be on sale during lunch periods Thursday or Friday. The cost is $35. Parent volunteers are needed to help sell yearbooks. To help, e-mail Lesli Platt at email@example.com">href="mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org" mce_href="mailto:email@example.com">firstname.lastname@example.org
Pine View Elementary: Arbor Day celebration, 10 a.m. Friday.
Pine View Middle: ESOL/FLASH program, 3 to 4:30 p.m. Thursday.
St. Anthony Catholic: Report cards will be issued Friday.
Stewart Middle: Honor Roll celebration, 12:45 p.m. Friday.
Sunlake High:The Talon, the school's first yearbook, is now on sale. The cost is $55. Order online at yearbooksonsale.com.
- Tickets are on sale for Ticket to Broadway, featuring performances by students from throughout Pasco County. Shows, presented by the Richey Suncoast Theatre and the Pasco Education Center, will be at 8 p.m. Feb. 1 and 2 and 2:30 p.m. Feb. 3 at Richey Suncoast Theatre, 6237 Grand Blvd., New Port Richey. General admission tickets are $10 and are available by calling the Richey Suncoast Theatre box office at 727 842-6777. For corporate sponsorships, call Chip Wichmanowski at the Pasco Education Foundation, (727) 774-2705, (813) 794-2705 or (352) 524-2705. Proceeds go to scholarships for students who want to major in the performing arts.
Wesley Chapel Center for the Arts, 30651 Wells Road, Wesley Chapel. (813) 794-8772 or (727) 774-8772.
- All County Band Concert, 4 p.m. Saturday.
- The Omaha Theater Company presents Old Yeller at 10:30 a.m. and noon Jan. 31. For grades 3-5. Tickets are $4.
- Cinderella and the Chinese Slipper, 10:30 a.m. and noon Feb. 7. For grades K-5. Tickets are $4.
Land O'Lakes Branch, 2818 Collier Parkway, Land O'Lakes. (813) 929-1214.
- Homework Help Center, 3 to 8 p.m. each Tuesday and Wednesday. For elementary ages.
New River Branch, 34043 State Road 54, Zephyrhills. (813) 788-6375.
- The Magic of Reading With Ben Franklin, 4 p.m. Thursday.
- Those wanting to learn practical ways of raising responsible children are invited to attend Active Parenting Classes being offered at Denham Oaks Elementary, 1422 Oak Grove Blvd., in Lutz. Classes are 6 to 8 p.m. Feb. 20, Feb. 27 and March 5, and they help provide parents and caregivers the skills to develop communication, responsibility and respect with their children. Those interested in attending should call Allison Bicknell at (813) 794-1600 for information and to reserve a spot.
The deadline for timely submissions is one week before publication. Send your school news in writing to Michele Miller by fax at (727) 869-6233 in Port Richey, (813) 909-4611 in Land O'Lakes or (352) 521-6520 in Dade City; send e-mail to email@example.com or send mail to 11321 U.S. 19, Port Richey, FL, 34668. Call Michele Miller at (727) 869-6251 or toll-free at 1-800-333-7505, ext. 6251.
- Matt Menendez was the winner of the school-level National Geographic Bee at Pine View Middle School. Winners of the school-level Science Fair: Jordan Monds, Breanna Whitten, Junia Blankenship, Joseph DeMarco, Austin Worthen, Kaitlyn Henzel, Gabrielle Epifanio, Brandon Palcisho, Michael Marrow, Andrea Valdalez, Eden Shirmohammad, Cameron Hilgenberg, Alec Bowman and Chase Cooley. These students will compete in the District Science Fair in February.
- Marti Miller was named Teacher of the Year at Sand Pine Elementary School. School-Related Personnel of the Year is Kathy Boudreaux.