St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Letter to the editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Woman, 38, dies in apartment fire

By Times Staff Writer
Published January 25, 2008


ADVERTISEMENT

DUNEDIN

A woman who neighbors said used candles to light her apartment died in a fire shortly after midnight Thursday.

Dunedin firefighters found Christina Foley's body just inside the front door. She was 38.

The fire is believed to be an accident, said Dunedin Fire Marshal Bill McElligott. The smoke detector did not have a battery. A neighbor tried to rescue Foley but was unsuccessful, he said.

A cat found inside the apartment also died. A chihuahua was revived by firefighters.

Customer information is confidential, said Cherie Jacobs, a spokeswoman for Progress Energy. However, she did confirm Foley's apartment did not have electricity at the time of the fire.

SPRING HILL

Fire board declines to extend chief's job

Spring Hill Fire Rescue commissioners Wednesday night voted not to renew the six-year contract of Chief J.J. Morrison.

Fire board members cited Morrison's ongoing illness as one of the reasons for making their decision. As the fire department has fought with Hernando County officials over consolidation the past two years, Morrison, 50, has missed several months of work because of bad health.

[Last modified January 24, 2008, 23:43:15]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT