Woman, 38, dies in apartment fire
By Times Staff Writer
Published January 25, 2008
A woman who neighbors said used candles to light her apartment died in a fire shortly after midnight Thursday.
Dunedin firefighters found Christina Foley's body just inside the front door. She was 38.
The fire is believed to be an accident, said Dunedin Fire Marshal Bill McElligott. The smoke detector did not have a battery. A neighbor tried to rescue Foley but was unsuccessful, he said.
A cat found inside the apartment also died. A chihuahua was revived by firefighters.
Customer information is confidential, said Cherie Jacobs, a spokeswoman for Progress Energy. However, she did confirm Foley's apartment did not have electricity at the time of the fire.
Fire board declines to extend chief's job
Spring Hill Fire Rescue commissioners Wednesday night voted not to renew the six-year contract of Chief J.J. Morrison.
Fire board members cited Morrison's ongoing illness as one of the reasons for making their decision. As the fire department has fought with Hernando County officials over consolidation the past two years, Morrison, 50, has missed several months of work because of bad health.
[Last modified January 24, 2008, 23:43:15]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]