St. Petersburg Times
Special report
Video report
  • For their own good
    Fifty years ago, they were screwed-up kids sent to the Florida School for Boys to be straightened out. But now they are screwed-up men, scarred by the whippings they endured. Read the story and see a video and portrait gallery.
  • More video reports
Multimedia report
Print Email this storyEmail story Comment Letter to the editor
Fill out this form to email this article to a friend
Your name Your email
Friend's name Friend's email
Your message
 

Bush pushes House to pass intelligence bill

Associated Press
Published February 24, 2008


ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON

House Democratic leaders came under criticism Saturday from President Bush, who said they are blocking intelligence legislation so lawyers can sue telephone companies for helping the government eavesdrop on suspected terrorists. Terrorists are plotting attacks "at this very moment," Bush said in his weekly radio address. He again urged the House to act on Senate-passed legislation needed to renew the intelligence law that expired last weekend. The Senate bill provides retroactive protection for telecommunications companies that wiretapped phone and computer lines at the government's request, but without the permission of a secret court. The House version does not provide such immunity against lawsuits. The Justice Department and Office of National Intelligence said Saturday that telecommunication companies are complying with existing surveillance warrants, reversing a declaration Friday that some companies had refused to initiate wiretaps against people covered by orders issued under the expired law.

EAST ST. LOUIS, Ill.

12-year-old rescues siblings from fire

As flames consumed her home Saturday and prevented her parents from helping, a 12-year-old girl saved two siblings, ages 9 and 8, by kicking out a second-story window and easing them down, firefighters said. Derrionna Adams then leaped 15 feet to safety, East St. Louis fire Chief William Fennoy said. The house was destroyed. A space heater may have started the fire.

[Last modified February 24, 2008, 00:25:04]


Share your thoughts on this story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Subscribe to the Times
Click here for daily delivery
of the St. Petersburg Times.

Email Newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT